Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-14-2005, 06:07 PM

Default A hand I didn\'t like

Finally posted a winning session (albeit small) after a month of losing. Still, I don't like this hand.

5/10 6-handed. I'm playing tight and more passive than usual preflop, so standard 2+2 TAG I guess? Villain seems decent TAG. I haven't been showing down many hands and I haven't been bluffing a lot.

Folded to SB with 920 behind who completes. I cover and make it 35 from the BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] with 70 in the pot.

SB checks, I bet 50 (standard c-bet after raising in blind battle), he makes it 180, I call.

Turn 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with 430 in the pot.

He bets 250, I call.

River 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] with 930 in the pot.

He bets 450 all-in, I call.

I thought about folding the river. Does anyone else fold there? I suck at heads-up.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: A hand I didn\'t like

if i fold it would be on the turn. once you call the turn, esp. that river, you're looking him up.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:15 PM

On the turn I think QJ/QT/maybe KQ is possible. On the river I don't think it is. That's my weak reasoning, since I am stepping out of the house at the moment.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:18 PM

As played, I would probably fold the turn as Bobbo suggested possibly doing.

What I might do, however, if you were going to call bets on the turn and river like you did. . .is actually re-raise that flop. Maybe this is horrible, but I think he is capable of the line he played up through that c/r with something like QK or QJ as well as a set, doubtful he called a raise with a two pair hand to me. A re-raise would help find out where you are at - it will probably make KQ or QJ fold but was he really going to put an awful lot more in the pot with those hands anyways? Again this has its disadvantags though, maybe downright bad I dunno, I suck heads up too.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:25 PM

I might've checked the flop....
Old 12-14-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn I think QJ/QT/maybe KQ is possible. On the river I don't think it is. That's my weak reasoning, since I am stepping out of the house at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

on the turn i would decide if i put him on JT, a set, or Q9. if I didnt, I would call and call the river. if I did, JT got there, and I certainly dont have odds to improve against that range which crushes me.

the other part of his hand range is possible just a raw gutshot, bluff type hands (like underpairs) or as you said, TP. all of these could c/r the flop HU vs a continuation bet. but again, decision is for the turn, on the river your price is too good (plus thats a good card)

coltrane,
[ QUOTE ]
I might've checked the flop....

[/ QUOTE ]

is that because you were checkraised? :P

If villain would limp/call KQ, QJ, etc etc (which tons would 5/10 imo) then I think checkng the flop leads to alot of turn+ confusion due to underrepresenting your hand. Plus, you miss clear value when they peel one off light w/ a gutshot (v possible) or w/ underpair hoping you slow down. (and obv clear value as said vs those TP hands which have low equity) *and those would simply lay down the turn.

I would check this flop w/ JJ and TT.

edit, i dont mean tp lays down on turn, i mean gutshots do.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:48 PM

Nice cb. You just busted this guy out on a weaker Q.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:52 PM

not saying always, but sometimes mixing it up with a flop check HU with position in a small pot against a SB completer is not a bad idea.....I agree that giving a free card to straight draws is questionable but I think it is more than made up for by the fact that a) the pot is small and you keep it that way and b) more times than the free card will hurt you, you will be helped by your check in the fact that you will induce bluffs and get action from worse hands that either would have folded the flop or improved enough on the turn to pay you off a little.....
Old 12-14-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not saying always, but sometimes mixing it up with a flop check HU with position in a small pot against a SB completer is not a bad idea.....I agree that giving a free card to straight draws is questionable but I think it is more than made up for by the fact that a) the pot is small and you keep it that way and b) more times than the free card will hurt you, you will be helped by your check in the fact that you will induce bluffs and get action from worse hands that either would have folded the flop or improved enough on the turn to pay you off a little.....

[/ QUOTE ]

nice. . I really like this
Old 12-14-2005, 07:02 PM

I think that 5 on the river is actually really good, he's 3 times less likely to have flopped a set now. He'd probably raise 99 pf. Once you get to the river you need to call. Really sucks if he had AA though...

-SmileyEH