Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-09-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Between the LAG and a LPP is...

The LAG is on the button. He's very "creative" in his hand choices. When I first sat down at the table, I had the pleasure of watching him raise 53s preflop from the small blind after a couple limpers, and bet all the way down, rivering a backdoor flush. He's shown some patience postflop, as he's not betting/raising everything and does know how to fold instead of chasing down with crap. But he is willing to be assertive in position. I don't use a HUD at Paradise, but I would guess he's a 50-60 VPIP.

The other player is pretty tame. He hasn't gotten out of line as far as I can tell. He's willing to stab at a pot if there's a lot of checking, but other than that he seems fairly predictable.

What's the plan?

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ...
Old 12-09-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Between the LAG and a LPP is...

With 2 overs, 2 bd straights, a bd flush and the opportunity to take initiative, I'll bet this. I'll call sb if he c-r's and reevaluate on the turn...
Old 12-09-2005, 02:57 PM

Bet flop, fold UTG. Bet turn after SB checks. Check behind river if you don't pair.

If SB check raises on the flop, call and fold UI on turn. If you improve on turn to a pair, raise his bet. Call his bet if its a club.

If he donks, call if a club, maybe fold if nothing helps.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:58 PM

i'd bet here since if button has picked up anything - pairing 2, 3, T, 45 OESD(maybe even Ax high lol) then button may raise and might push SB out of the pot. Also, if button raises and SB check-3-bets that will help your decision too.

If SB is folded out you may pick up ace outs that weren't there before. And yes, with BDFD and straight potential, i'd say a bet was goot.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet flop, fold UTG. Bet turn after SB checks. Check behind river if you don't pair.

If SB check raises on the flop, call and fold UI on turn. If you improve on turn to a pair, raise his bet. Call his bet if its a club.

If he donks, call if a club, maybe fold if nothing helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this
Old 12-09-2005, 03:19 PM

I can't imagine not betting here.

Call a c/r, fold turn UI.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:48 PM

If SB, a passive player, c/r's the flop after a preflop 3bet, I put him on TT a huge portion of the time, AA/KK a little bit, and AT a smaller fraction still. If I call his c/r, I'm definitely not raising a turn where I pair up.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:27 PM

I went back and forth for a little on this. The preflop 3-bet followed by the flop check is unnerving. It could be that he has AK/AQ and doesn't auto-bet the flop with high cards, or he could have AA/KK/TT and is getting cute with it (though I don't think he's getting cute with AA/KK too often). Even if my bet is raised by LAG, I don't know if I expect SB to fold on the flop if he has AK (maybe with AQ).

Betting to get rid of LAG button (if he had nothing) wouldn't be so bad, but I decided to check, half-way hoping that LAG would take the initiative and bet it for me so I could see what SB would do. If SB check-raised, I would be gone without investing any more than I needed to. If SB check-called, I'd call behind and see what happens on the turn (putting SB on overcards most of the time, but still keeping an eye out for slowplaying silliness). And if it got checked through, I think it's okay because I probably don't have the best hand anyway. I'm not sold that checking is better than betting, but I'm not sure if there's enough value in betting to fire away (probably) without the best hand. I don't know if I can run villlain off of AK, and this information would have been very helpful in the decision-making process.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (4 handed)
FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ...
Old 12-09-2005, 08:18 PM

Well, there was a posting avalanche and this got bumped to the bottom of "my" front page (I have my preferences set to view 40 posts per page), so I'll do a shameless bump and give you the rest of the action.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 12-09-2005, 08:40 PM

Wow, I disagree with every post-flop decision you made.