Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Hand review /study groups idea

I'm sure something has been proposed like this, but maybe not quite like this.

Basically we form "study" groups of say 3-5 people from the forums to review interesting hands we come across in our play.

In order to make sure everyone benefits we would need a diversity of players within each group.

If anyone is interested they could sign there name up in a pool, basically post what limit they play, and whether they consider themselves beginner/immediate/advanced, etc.

Someone (me, a mod, somebody) could then go through all the people that signed up and divide them up into groups.

The groups would be a mixed bad, you'd try to put an advanced player with a few intermediates and a beginner, etc.

This group of people would then discuss (either on the forums or somewhere else) hands amongst themselves, etc.

Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Hand review /study groups idea

Isn't that what this is, just smaller?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:49 AM

Not all posts are hand reviews and quite often a post will get lost in the mix.

When there are 50 new posts with hands most people don't review and post on each one, so inevitably you have some that fall through the cracks with hardly anyone looking at, or people give alot of shallow responses becuase they don't want to dedicate their time to a single post.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:02 PM

i tried this.

it took a crapton of work to organize and, well, i got too lazy.

linky

but you could try....
Old 12-07-2005, 12:39 PM

Yeah, I know, and I really wasn't meaning to be snarky. The problem you're going to have (other than the organizational problems that tilt points out) is that the same people that short-arm the forum are going to short-arm any putative "study group" you put them in, and the people that are dedicated to the forum are going to spend too much time on the forum to essentially duplicate that effort. And, if they don't, then what you're doing is diluting the talent pool serving the greater number and having them serve a smaller number.

IMO, fwiw.

It really does seem to me that the interesting hands generate a lot of discussion while the "should I have dumped my BB 83o to a flop raise on an AK3r board" posts slide off pretty quickly. Personally, I usually check the first 2 pages a couple of times a day to make sure I don't miss anything good, when I don't comment it's because I don't have anything to say, and when somebody posts a ridiculous hand I tell them so in as few words as possible (unless I AM trying to be snarky which happens, well, a lot).