Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-22-2005, 04:09 PM

Default The Vice President of Lying Meets The Press

Said the VP yesterday:

Several days ago, I commented briefly on some recent statements that have been made by some members of Congress about Iraq. Within hours of my speech, a report went out on the wires under the headline, “Cheney says war critics ‘dishonest,’ ‘reprehensible.’”

One thing I’ve learned in the last five years is that when you’re Vice President, you’re lucky if your speeches get any attention at all. But I do have a quarrel with that headline . . .

What is not legitimate -- and what I will again say is dishonest and reprehensible -- is the suggestion by some U. S. senators that the President of the United States or any member of his administration purposely misled the American people on pre-war intelligence. [end quote]

Cheney on 9/14/03 on "Meet the Press":

"We learn more and more that there was a relationship between Iraq and Al Qaeda that stretched back through most of the decade of the '90s, that it involved training, for example, on [biological and chemical weapons], that Al Qaeda sent personnel to Baghdad to get trained on the systems."

"With respect to 9/11, of course, we've had the story ... the Czechs alleged that Mohamed Atta, the lead attacker, met in Prague with a senior Iraqi intelligence official five months before the attack, but we've never been able to develop any more of that yet, either in terms of confirming or discrediting it."

Cheney has insisted that the Democratic critics saw the same intelligence the administration saw. Yet he said on Meet the Press:

"You know, we begin every day reading the intelligence reports from the CIA and the FBI on the nature of the threat that’s out there, on the plotting by al-Qaeda members and related groups to launch attacks against the United States and contemplating the possibility of an attack against the U.S. with far deadlier weapons than anything we’ve seen to date."

Does John Kerry see that every day?

MR. RUSSERT: The Washington Post asked the American people about Saddam Hussein, and this is what they said: 69 percent said he was involved in the September 11 attacks. Are you surprised by that?

VICE PRES. CHENEY: No. I think it’s not surprising that people make that connection.

MR. RUSSERT: But is there a connection?

VICE PRES. CHENEY: We don’t know.

Another Cheney remark on Meet the Press:

"The fact is that most of Iraq today is relatively stable and quiet."

March 16, 2003:
VICE PRES. CHENEY: I think things have gotten so bad inside Iraq from the standpoint of the Iraqi people, my belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators.

9-16-01
VICE PRESIDENT CHENEY: Saddam Hussein's bottled up, at this point, but clearly, we continue to have a fairly tough policy where the Iraqis are concerned.

MR. RUSSERT: Do we have any evidence linking Saddam Hussein or Iraqis to this operation? [9-11]

VICE PRES. CHENEY: No.

And finally, a cameo from the Secretary of Defense

MR. STEPHANOPOULOS: Finally, weapons of mass destruction. Key goal of the military campaign is finding those weapons of mass destruction. None have been found yet. There was a raid on the Answar Al-Islam Camp up in the north last night. A lot of people expected to find ricin there. None was found. How big of a problem is that? And is it curious to you that given how much control U.S. and coalition forces now have in the country, they haven't found any weapons of mass destruction?

SEC. RUMSFELD: Not at all. If you think -- let me take that, both pieces -- the area in the south and the west and the north that coalition forces control is substantial. It happens not to be the area where weapons of mass destruction were dispersed. We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: The Vice President of Lying Meets The Press

It's ok Andy, those pesky liberals that run the media are smoking all these inconsistencies out. I mean with all that evidence from his own shows archives, Mr Russert must of made mince meat of Dick.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: The Vice President of Lying Meets The Press

One of the smartest things that Dick Cheney did was hiring the novelist Lewis Libby to be his CoS: that way, he'd always be able to tell a good story. Problem is, he forgot good stories are all too often fiction.