Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-22-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Reraise this river? A boat from the blind

[ QUOTE ]
I probably push, but I probably should call. Min c/r = rutroh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is trying to get hero to fold (just he did twice previously). Hard to see another boat in this slop. I think a straight is villain's most likely holding.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:40 PM

Im making it about 125 here, straight is his most likely hand
Old 11-22-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is trying to get hero to fold (just he did twice previously). Hard to see another boat in this slop. I think a straight is villain's most likely holding.

[/ QUOTE ]
let me get this straight: You think villain has a straight and is trying to get Hero to fold on the river. So what does villain think Hero has? Is he trying to get him off a split? Is he trying to get him to fold a boat? Both seem unlikely to me. Most likely is that villain has absolutely nothing here, a smaller boat, or a bigger boat. Most likely smaller boat is 22, but he would have shown more aggression with such a strong holding. So he probably has nothing. Or maybe 44 for the smaller boat with pair+gs on the flop/turn. Maybe that is actually his most likely holding which should make pushing attractive. Either way I think it's close. If he's a loose caller and might call here with the straight, then probably push is correct. But if he can lay a straight down on the river, then that probably pushes it to a call.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:43 PM

You have to reraise him because he probably doesn't have you beat most of the time. He is representing a straight so you should raise to like 130- 140.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:13 PM

Don't you think an 'aggressive player to say the least' raises 22 and 44 preflop in a blind struggle?

looks like a straight or trips who thinks he has the best hand. But you are causing me to rethink.

A straight and open trips are more often good than bad, especially in a blind battle; boats are quite rare. Having a hard time seeing why a push here isn't called and good most of the time, even against an aggressive player's min-raise.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
let me get this straight: You think villain has a straight and is trying to get Hero to fold on the river. So what does villain think Hero has? Is he trying to get him off a split? Is he trying to get him to fold a boat? Both seem unlikely to me. Most likely is that villain has absolutely nothing here, a smaller boat, or a bigger boat. Most likely smaller boat is 22, but he would have shown more aggression with such a strong holding. So he probably has nothing. Or maybe 44 for the smaller boat with pair+gs on the flop/turn. Maybe that is actually his most likely holding which should make pushing attractive. Either way I think it's close. If he's a loose caller and might call here with the straight, then probably push is correct. But if he can lay a straight down on the river, then that probably pushes it to a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think villain is trying to get hero to fold here. He wants a call. He may have an underboat, but he also may be misplaying the case 5 and the river just make him soil himself.

It hard to put villain on a better boat because I think 65 would have been raising at some point before here or at a minimum would have led the river. You have convinced me that a straight is not his most likely holding, but I think a better boat is his least likely holding.

What holding does villain call down with, but check raise the river? It is odd. A full house wants to get paid and I wouldn't think villain would risk checking it down. I think I'm losing my stack here.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think villain is trying to get hero to fold here. He wants a call. He may have an underboat, but he also may be misplaying the case 5 and the river just make him soil himself.

It hard to put villain on a better boat because I think 65 would have been raising at some point before here or at a minimum would have led the river. You have convinced me that a straight is not his most likely holding, but I think a better boat is his least likely holding.

What holding does villain call down with, but check raise the river? It is odd. A full house wants to get paid and I wouldn't think villain would risk checking it down. I think I'm losing my stack here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I generally agree with your analysis. But this is quite funny.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally agree with your analysis. But this is quite funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Am I funny like a clown?"

I just think villain is either an idiot who thinks he is way ahead and extracting value with his 2nd best hand or some sort of mad genius who holds 66 and is capable of getting hero to do all the betting. Most of the time I agree this is a half-assed attempt at a bluff, but this one looks strange to me. Maybe playing in the Absolute rock gardens has started to pickle my brain. They are not kind to SLAGs like me.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the point of my post. I think it is extremely rare that I've seen a river check raise, especially a river min-check raise, without the mortal nuts.

In this case I happen to have the 3rd best boat or something (66,65,54 beat me) but how often is he c/r'ing with less than my hand? Wouldn't most straights just bet the river thinking that I would look to take a cheap showdown with a good one pair type hand?

The Doc
Old 11-22-2005, 11:46 PM

I don't like a raise -- not because you don't have the best hand.. there's a solid chance that you do -- but there isn't anything that you beat that can call a re-raise.

A naked deuce is afraid of the straight at the very least, and a straight has to know he can't be doing any better than splitting.