Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-16-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Scotch Tasting (NY/NJ)

[ QUOTE ]
TT your name is one of the worst on 2+2. I submit a motion to change it back to Luv2DriveTT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I predict that most of the participants will taste each scotch twice, with the second tasting having distinct notes of bile and stomach acid.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I only dream about the 25 year old. One day... Haven't drunk a lot of Glenlivet, no, only some cheap one which was too tame, IIRC.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Glenlevit 12 shouldnt even be called single malt. It tastes more like JW red than anything.

Some day though - shell out the 50 or 60 for a glass of the Macallen 25. It will change your life. My girlfriend got me a bottle for my birthday. She's the best. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 03:19 PM

Dude, I will when I see it. Still too much of a noob, only 21, so I've got a lot of regular 10-20 year old malts to discover still.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I will when I see it. Still too much of a noob, only 21, so I've got a lot of regular 10-20 year old malts to discover still.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the club and enjoy your stay. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 03:32 PM

I'd love to get in on this, as I'm driving to NY/NJ from Florida pretty soon. Any chance this happens say, the weekend after Thanksgiving?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Scotch Questions from a silly college kid

So I read this thread last night before I went to sleep and realized I have never actually tasted scotch. I was talking to my roommate about this and he said scotch is awesome, so basically I want to buy some scotch for either tommorow night or thursday night. I need the fine people of 2+2 to recommend me a good first bottle. I am taking a wild guess that decent bottles of scotch are usually about 50-100$ right? maybe? I have no idea but I am not crazy about spending more than 100$ on a bottle. So yeah, I am going to buy a bottle based the recommendations I recieve...I am really excited about this for some reason! Help !
Old 11-16-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Scotch Questions from a silly college kid

[ QUOTE ]
So I read this thread last night before I went to sleep and realized I have never actually tasted scotch. I was talking to my roommate about this and he said scotch is awesome, so basically I want to buy some scotch for either tommorow night or thursday night. I need the fine people of 2+2 to recommend me a good first bottle. I am taking a wild guess that decent bottles of scotch are usually about 50-100$ right? maybe? I have no idea but I am not crazy about spending more than 100$ on a bottle. So yeah, I am going to buy a bottle based the recommendations I recieve...I am really excited about this for some reason! Help !

[/ QUOTE ]

Its really a personal choice. Scotch varies as much as wine does. If you arent much for strong, biting heavy liquer, try something like a Glenlevit. They are very mild but give you some taste.

Personally, that was my first single malt. I liked it but it lacked a little. A friend recommended the Macallen 12 and I loved it. Good and full with a great aroma and taste. A bottle of that will run about $45 (Boston prices). For a virgin, dont go overboard. Get something between 8 and 12 year and buy something in a price that you feel comfortable with. Each one is going to be different so there really is no "right" one.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:55 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

in
Old 11-16-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Scotch Questions from a silly college kid

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that you have never had Scotch, you might want to start with a blended scotch like Johnnie Walker Black (Should be about $40). If you like that then try some single malts. Maybe someting like a 12-year old Bowmore. That should run you about $50.