Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-13-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: AKs.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd also check, but I'm raising the flop and taking the initiative back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't raise the flop for a few reasons.. the main reason being that I figure to be way ahead or way behind. If I hand like KJo is leading into me, he's a 3:1 dog on the flop, so I'm not very worried about it. If I am already crushed by a set or the made straight, I am losing less. If he bets again on the turn, which I figure these hands to do, I can fold. If they check, I can take back the initiative by betting, which is what I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lose less when behind when I just raise the flop. If the guys comes over the top for all his chips I fold. If he calls, I'm checking the turn and then probably folding to any reasonable river value bet. I don't want to get into the spot that you're in where I'm calling half-pot, half-pot, half-pot all the way down.

I don't like the concept of raising for information in NL hold em so here is the way I look at it. You flopped top pair with the best kicker as the pre flop raiser. An opponent bet into you for less than 1/3 pot, and there are people to speak behind you that can get in for a great price if you just call. There's no reason to believe that you don't have the best hand just yet, so just friggin raise it up.

Given the way you played it, I don't mind giving a free card on the turn because it's easy to see which cards are likely to hit his hand. I'd also check the river down on a blank.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:13 PM

not a fan of flop raise.

KQ, KT, KJ are all calling the flop raise instead of coming over the top.

then you are stuck with big pot on turn with no idea what to do and he leads in to you for 1/2 pot and you are like [censored], is he getting value for his KQ/flopped straight, or blocking for his draw with KT, KJ.

the only hands that possibly 3 bets the flop is set.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I lose less when behind when I just raise the flop. If the guys comes over the top for all his chips I fold. If he calls, I'm checking the turn and then probably folding to any reasonable river value bet. I don't want to get into the spot that you're in where I'm calling half-pot, half-pot, half-pot all the way down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like this. I feel you win alot less by folding out his worse hands. By checking the turn you are inducing a river bet from worse hands, but assume only a better hand stayed from your flop reraise and fold to a river bet.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:14 PM

What if the villain bet $4? $8? I mean jesus he bet $12 -- just raise!

I rarely find myself getting donk bet for half pot on the turn in this scenario, but if I did, I would just fold.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like this. I feel you win alot less by folding out his worse hands. By checking the turn you are inducing a river bet from worse hands, but assume only a better hand stayed from your flop reraise and fold to a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically if everyone checks we should be checking the flop behind? Right? I mean we are only inducing worse hands to fold. That's bad right?
Old 11-13-2005, 04:17 PM

hmm. didn't see amount.

thought it was more like 2/3 pot.

yeah I think raise is ok.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:18 PM

i dont raise this flop very often. i will raise it if i think that i will get a free showdown from my villain or if i think he is capable of calling a raise with hands i beat. i dont like a flop raise because it makes the pot big on a scary board and i only have 1 pair.

on the turn i still like a check. i dont think there are enough hands that will get here with a draw that we have to worry about. i the way i see it we have to worry about KJ, KT, 9J, 9T, AJ and a few other wierd hands. i say give him a free card and call a reasonable bet on the river. this way he has a chance to bluff or bet hands we beat.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if the villain bet $4? $8? I mean jesus he bet $12 -- just raise!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I have absolutely NO idea what hand Villain has. Raising only bloats a pot in which I'm totally lost and confused. Calling here keeps the pot smaller and charges me less when I'm beat. It will also (usually) slow down a weaker hand and let me know who's in charge by the turn. Raising will most likely blow off worse hands, and like I said earlier, there aren't any dangerous draws. If KJo is betting here, he's already a 3:1 underdog. Is this not alright?

I think playing the flop slow, on a remotely drawless and safe board, against an opponent whose hand I know nothing about is a decent line. Then I use my position and reevaluate the hand on the turn.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:20 PM

I think you'll find this bet into the pre flop raiser is attempting to accomplish exactly what you allowed it to -- freeze you up when you have the best hand, but would have bet more when checked to.

I expect villain to have a hand like QJ quite often.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:20 PM

The board is draw heavy, I have no problem raising it right there. If people call, and then bet into me, then I'd give them credit for a strong hand or a good play.

Calling the flop and then folding the turn seems too weak.