Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Folding to 1 bet on the end.

The pot is rather large on the end but I felt like I was beat here atleast 95% of the time if not more. Seat 5 is a reasonable player who plays a little too loose but not an idiot. If I hadn't raised 5th street I think things would be a little different. Any thoughts?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.70 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.35 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (9.35 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (12.35 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds

Total pot: (12.35 BB)
Old 11-12-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Folding to 1 bet on the end.

It is possible that you are right, but I just don't feel that folding here at the river is a way to make money at stud. Plus, if you make folds here, the smarter player will be betting you out of pots, hand after hand. Yes, you showed strength on fifth, but this looks like one of those instances that you just have to call, given that it looks like seat 7 is not going to call river. There seems to be more reasons to call here than to fold.

Also, i would prefer a call on fifth rather than a raise. It does not look like anyone is folding here and it is not clear that you have the best hand at this moment. You're stuck in this hand, but I think you need to make it as cheap as possible for you to play this out. Your hand is mediocre.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:11 AM

Why did you raise 5th?

I don't mind the fold here. I never really like folds on the river. Its just such an unlikely time for a bluff. although, if he hit a big 5 card hand, i'm not sure why he doesn't look for a check raise.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:38 AM

If you are going to fold tens up on the river for one bet I'm not sure why you are playing this hand past fifth street.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:28 PM

I grant you that I'm a notorious pay station, but I just can't see folding on the river for one bet here. I'm also not crazy about the raise on fifth street. I find it somewhat unlikely that you have the best hand, and I really don't think anyone's folding.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:19 PM

I really cant understand the raise on 5th - what were you hoping to accomplish?

The river fold I think is ok because a bluff there seems so unlikely and there is a chance of a raise behind you but I would probably pay off a bet here most of the time.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:49 PM

If your hand was not strong enough to call one bet on the river even after improving, how is it strong enough to raise on 5th street?
Old 11-12-2005, 03:14 PM

What does everyone think about folding 5th? Frappe didn’t say anything about seat 7, but I assume he needs some kind of real hand to bet into that scary board. What’s more, seat 5 needs some kind of real hand to call that bet.
I’d be scared of both aces (up) and (passively played) trip 9s here.

Call me weak-tight. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2005, 09:02 PM

Frappe, would you best drescribe this fold as something that you have a feel for after playing thousands of hands?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:24 PM

It is possible that the ace hit him, but it is also possible that he is using it as a scare card or maybe also caught 4 clubs. Without anything much showing out there, I would look to call there more than fold. It just seems a little weakish to fold. Granted, the pair of tens is certainly marginal here at this point, but a lot of times you just have to play with these marginal situations until you see something to tell you otherwsie.