Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-09-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Rent-a-Brain

This forum seems to have some patches of pretty bright people on it. I was wondering if you get 'borrow your brain' requests on what seems like random topics having nothing to do with any areas of your specific expertise. Naturally, if you're involved in real estate you'll have people wanting to run that topic by you. I'm referring more to "logical coherence or objectivity or philosophically consistant or.." requests on perhaps a fairly complex topic they know you're not knowledgable in from perhaps co-workers, family, organizations, friends, wherever?

luckyme,
if I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind
Old 11-09-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Rent-a-Brain

Not really. Most requests are related to experience or knowledge in a specific field. The purpose is almost always practical like to make money, to get a job, to buy the right gizmo, to make something work better, etc.

How about you?

Edit: sometimes they'll run a conversation by me to see if I agree that the other guy is stupid, but that's about as close as it comes
Old 11-10-2005, 04:31 AM

It happens sometimes. But usually as the result of a misunderstanding. ("He's a scientist, I'll ask him if he thinks bird flu is going to evolve" despite the fact I studed geology not biology, or "he's a computer whiz, I'll ask him why my junk email is filed in the wrong folder" despite the fact I am a statistician, not a programmer or a tech support person.)

However, they usually go away feeling satisfied - since I do know more about biology than someone who doesn't know the difference between biology and geology usually does. How much closer to the truth I actually manage to push them is another story.

It's the classic case of asking your veterinarian what's wrong with your kid, minus the malpractice lawsuit.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:15 AM

Luckyme,

I find that most people when seeking advice look to people who will confirm what they already want to hear. I’d say that I am smarter than most folk in my circles (referring more to my circle of folk than myself). Folk who know me know that I would try to give objective input.

If they already know the “right” answer, they would ask my input. I don’t get asked for advice all too often.

RJT
Old 11-10-2005, 10:39 AM

Don't take it too seriously. I have several friends who I will ask their opinion on any topic, even though I know it's not their specialty -- and they'll do the same to me. Usually I'm interested in what qualifications and other topics they'll connect to the question as they consider it -- a talent many "experts" have frequently "outgrown".
Old 11-10-2005, 11:03 AM

Just happened. A friend composed her thought on road deaths and what should be done about it. She borrowed my brain, just like you describe.

It's very rare. Not me lending my brain - that's very common. Its rare they want it.

chez
Old 11-10-2005, 11:49 AM

Advice is something you ask for when you already know the answer, but wish you didn't.

I cannot attribute this to anyone, but I picked it up some time ago and the phrase has stuck with me.