Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 04:37 AM

Default Law Firm Summer Associate Offers. Big v. Small Firm (long)

My gambling for a living days are drawing to an end thank god.

After on-campus interviews I was lucky enough to receive a dozen callbacks and about 6 offers for summer positions at various law firms. My initial criteria for narrowing the choice down were pretty simple:

1. I want to work with top-notch attorneys; preferably some of the best in the city.
2. I want to work at a firm with a settled business model that isn't in the process of making big changes, trying to get purchased by another firm, having an identity crisis, or cherry picking from regional firms.
3. Good compensation and benefits.
4. Non-competitive summer associate programs. I want to learn and set aside the back-stabbing for a few weeks.
5. Not too much social BS (retreats, ballgames, etc etc). I've got a family. I don't need to go to summer camp.
6. And, most importantly, I want to work somewhere where my personality fits in well and I like the people, particularly the younger attorneys and staff.

So, I narrow it down to two firms. They share all the above qualities. But in other respects they couldn't be more different.

Firm #1. National law firm based in San Francisco. The regional Seattle office, is, however, one of the most important in the firm as some of the firms biggest clients are based in the Seattle area (office is still relatively small; 60ish attorneys). This firm has a fantastic reputation as being the best high-end litigation firm in the city as well doing a lot of bigtime M&A, bankruptcy and IP work. (Note: I have no one particular practice area I'm focused on). Downside, high billable hours requirement (1900 will keep you from getting canned. Most new associates bill in 2200-2300 range). Taking vacations is frowned upon. Not family friendly.

Firm #2. 20 attorney shop with one office. Some of the best real estate, land use, environmental (GMA, clean water) and construction litigators in the city (many formerly partners at big national firms). 1600 billable hours requirements (seriously). Awesome vacation policy. Superior health benefits. Stable top-notch client list. Also, a lot of the partners are getting on in age so I'd be in a leadership position quickly. A nap room. Bi-weekly massages. Gym membership. Stinky cheeses. Low-turnover in the staff. Sabbaticals every five years. Very cool, down-to-earth type people that you could have a drink with but also have well-rounded lives outside the office. This tells me I would have lots of time to do the other things I enjoy. My wife and kids would probably prefer this firm.

Downside: I have no particular experience with the practice areas. I might enjoy them; i might not. I like the general skills of lawyering, but was waiting until I practiced to try and settle on an area of choice. The opportunities to do that here would be much more narrow. The compensation is also a tad bit less, but, if you figured it out per hour, its equal to the national firm since the billable hours requirement is so much lower.

Obviously I'm sorting through this with lots of people, doing a lot of reflection, talking with other lawyers, etc. But some sick part of me wanted to let OOT have a hack at it. Fame, glory, prestige and the 80th floor of the tallest building in the city? Naps, lower hours, stinky cheese, laid back but top-notch attorneys and some decent coin working with lower-stakes mostly transactional work? What would you do or be more inclined to do and why?
Old 11-06-2005, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Law Firm Summer Associate Offers. Big v. Small Firm (long)

I just realized nobody will read this because its so damn long.

It was helpful writing it though. Forgive the length.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:38 AM

Choose the firm with the best people. As in nice. No amount of money or prestige is worth working for assholes. General rule in law is the higher the "prestige" factor, the bigger the assholes, but there are exceptions. Try to find the exception.

Also, check for a Greedy Associates board for Seattle. The scoop on any firm can usually be found there.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Choose the firm with the best people. As in nice. No amount of money or prestige is worth working for assholes. General rule in law is the higher the "prestige" factor, the bigger the assholes, but there are exceptions. Try to find the exception.

Also, check for a Greedy Associates board for Seattle. The scoop on any firm can usually be found there.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a Greedy Associates board? I've never heard of this.

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:57 AM

I know so many lawyers who started work at the ultra-prestigious megafirms, hated the hours and dealing with egotistic partners, and left for gov't or in-house positions that paid tens of thousands less, but they are much happier. You'll thrive in a megafirm if money/prestige is your primary motivation in life, and you can deal with having little to no interests outside of work. If you want to spend time with your family each evening and on weekends, and have other interests such as p***r, choose the small firm. In my experience, with law, you have to choose between mega-prestige and a huge salary, and having a life outside of work. You can't have both.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:18 PM

Try not being a lawyer.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I didn't read it anyway.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:15 PM

The hard part is the long-term picture. I'm only 26, I've never worked in a law firm. Picking the small, lifestyle firm would be a long-term choice (it's a guarenteed post-school job offer as well. 90K a year plus bonuses if i exceed the very low billable). The big firm would be a stepping stone. I could build a resume, go in house, into business, politics or a boutique firm. Choices choices.

Thanks for the posts and PMs.

Greedy associates board? Anyone?
Old 11-06-2005, 03:21 PM

web page
Old 11-06-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
web page

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm google-tarded thanks greenage.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:23 PM

are you already a big liberal weenie or are you trying to avoid being one?

depending on the answer i would consider moving out of seattle. lacking that, the small firm sounds like weenie work.