Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 04:13 PM

Default \'Best of Show\' on 6 books -

Stephan is a bright math major 16 year old boy home schooled in Europe by mild agnostic parents. They aren’t for or against god-concepts they just don’t see any reason to hold a view themselves. At 16, they lay 6 major books in front of Stephan and ask him to read them and report what he derives from them.
Perhaps the Bible, the Qur’an, the Vedas, the Tao Te Ching, the Analects, the Tripitaka.

This is related to the concepts DS probes on here, but my question is -

If there were an uncontaminated mind ( and I’m not claiming there is), which book would an intelligent, logical thinker find useful/valid/true/? - you can find an adjective that describes the reason for his selection of any particular book to rate ‘the best’. I’m not intending this a "which religion is best" question, I’m trying to probe what a fair look by such a modern person would derive from them if his pump hadn’t been primed.

Those that struggle when dealing with a hypothetical ( and several posters admit such difficulty) can just read along rather than stumble around in the fog.

luckyme,
I'll chime in later if there's any interest.