Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-03-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Re: An interesting take on heroin

[ QUOTE ]
Ask Mitch Hedberg about heroin, see what he has to say about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad he's dead [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 09:17 PM

Many people are addicted to it for decades, and it's possible to be so without much damage. You can kill yourself or seriously harm yourself much quicker with hard drinking. A big part of the problem with heroin is all the things that can typically go with it, not the drug itself. For instance, if you're happy to just stare at your toes for hours, you don't get a lot done. I've known some heroin addicts who were content to try to live on welfare for the rest of their lives. Do that long enough and you're also almost guaranteed to be very boring and have social problems. If you're happy to just zone out and eat nothing but boxes of sugar, your body is going to turn to crap and you're going to have roid problems. If you can't afford your habit, you very well may turn to the lifestyle of a petty criminal. If you're into the subculture, you may not give a damn about needle cleanliness or think of the very idea as a paranoid conspiracy. The drug itself is hardly a healthy thing to do long-term, but its the destructive lifestyle changes and personal habits based around the habit that really make it bad. There are some people who can minimize that, but I wouldn't want to do it without a trust fund, so if I decided being a sugar-eating, toe-staring vegetable was what I wanted to do with my life, at least I wouldn't turn to being a thief over it. That would seriously interfere with my private toe time.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:50 PM

Its very easy to be a functional member of society while strung out. Its hard to afford it. Getting HepC sucks--not like HIV sucks, but still sucks.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:59 PM

Yeah, its funny how I only know one heroin addict and he's the only guy I know that has both Hep C and has sucked dick. Do you think he would have either of these on his resume had he never got into heroin?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, its funny how I only know one heroin addict and he's the only guy I know that has both Hep C and has sucked dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yours?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

http://lycaeum.org/ is good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, a website that catalogs it's trip reports.

I'm sure my friend would agree that heroin isn't addictive. He "chipped" for, oh, 10-15 years without becoming addicted.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:31 PM

I don't think anyone said it isn't addictive. I think what people were referencing is the very well established research that indicates that "physically" it is not nearly as quickly addicting as many people assume, and that chemically, diacetyl morphia, by itself, doesn't do a lot of damage to the human body (this also makes intuitive sense, considering we have enkephalin mu receptors to begin with). This makes obvious sense when you consider that the half-life of heroin is about six hours in the average human body. Thus unless you are getting it every ~six hours, you are not going to quickly become "addicted," if by "addicted" we mean physically dependent on the substance. Most users exaggerate both the quantities they consume, and the suffering they experience during withdrawal. This in no way downplays the truely enormous damage these individuals wreck in their lives and the lives of those around them.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:39 PM

This is the scariest thread I've ever read. Anyone who feels that Heroin is not an insidious drug that destroys lives is stupid. I love the line, "I haven't tried Heroin but ............." Do you know why there isn't more, "I used to to do Heroin but decided to just stop"? Because it doesn't happen! Call ANY detox center and asked the intake staff "Have you ever met a recreational heroin user?" and see the response. Yes, you can be a Heroin addict for 40 years if you want unless you OD. That doesn't mean it is harmless.

LLL
Old 11-04-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call ANY detox center and asked the intake staff "Have you ever met a recreational heroin user?" and see the response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now there is a sampling bias.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call ANY detox center and asked the intake staff "Have you ever met a recreational heroin user?" and see the response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now there is a sampling bias.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh