Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 08:24 PM

Default System Restore Disks on Different System

Is there any possible to way to use "gateway" restore disks on a different computer?

(I am trying to fix a computer with only usb ports and no ps2 ports, and it is a hell of a time without a usb keyboard and mouse with only the adapter which the computer doesn't recognize during boot)
Old 10-25-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: System Restore Disks on Different System

I've not had good luck using restore CDs from one manufacturer on another manufacturer's system. Not to say it won't ever work, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for that approach.

Can you give a few more details? Does the system boot at all? What is the nature of the problem? Is this a desktop or a laptop? Are you looking to wipe the problem box, or fix whatever problem exists? Is there data you need or want to recover? Do you have no keyboard/mouse support?

I once owned an absolutely terrible laptop (Acer: never buy from them). It crashed, hard. More than once. When XP would not boot, I was able to access my data and burn it to CD using a CD-sized linux distro called Knoppix; for me, data recovery was the important part.

If you have a USB thumb drive, you might try making it bootable: look at

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device.../usb-boot.mspx

and

http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardwa...omusbstick.php

Again, try to more fully describe your problem and the desired result.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: System Restore Disks on Different System

Well namely, using these usb ports when I boot up with the system restore on the desktop, it has a countdown of like 9 seconds and automatically goes to the hard disk.

When that happens it won't even go past the "no mouse" screen because no keyboard will work either. (i don't have a straight up usb keyboard of usb mouse)

I am fixing this computer for someone, and I am totally broke