Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-23-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Bottom set from blind fills on river...your move

Party 200NL 6max. Villain is pretty unremarkable, I haven't particularly noticed him which must mean he's been keeping to himself. I start with $305 and he has me covered by a bit.

Preflop:
One limper, villain limps on the button and I complete the SB with black 66. BB checks and we see a flop.

Flop ($8): 6 Q 7 rainbow

I lead for $6, only villain calls.

Turn ($22): [6 Q 7] J, putting two clubs up

I lead for $15, villain raises to $30, I call.

River ($72): [6 Q 7] J J

Hero...?

What range of hands do you put the villain on? How do we maximize in this spot? Is there a case for reraising the turn?

The Doc
Old 10-23-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Bottom set from blind fills on river...your move

Hand ranges? Obviously 77,QQ,QJ(maybe). Throw in maybe a few other random hands (Q7,Q6,AQ,2 clubs,whatever). I think a bet of $55-$60 is good. I call a raise.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:40 AM

Got to say I'm utterly confused as to what the villian actually has. Either he has a hand strong enought to slowplay the flop, which means 77/67 with Q7 an outside possibility or he likes the turn card, which means he has QJ/Qxs (can he have TP and the flush draw? its not clear) with an outside chance he has AJ/KJ and is woeful.

So I think on balence I probably reraise the turn hoping to get paid off if the villian has some sort of two pair/pair+draw combo. I can't seriously consider set over set without a strong read so if its 77 then I'll take the knock. I actually think QJ is by far the most likey hand given the action.

Now there is no way I'd make that read in the heat of battle so I wouldn't be quite as worried by the river as I currently am. Anyway can't be scared of monsters, I'd raise $50. If he pushed I might lay it down
Old 10-23-2005, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party 200NL 6max. Villain is pretty unremarkable, I haven't particularly noticed him which must mean he's been keeping to himself. I start with $305 and he has me covered by a bit.

Preflop:
One limper, villain limps on the button and I complete the SB with black 66. BB checks and we see a flop.

Flop ($8): 6 Q 7 rainbow

I lead for $6, only villain calls.

Turn ($22): [6 Q 7] J, putting two clubs up

I lead for $15, villain raises to $30, I call.

River ($72): [6 Q 7] J J

Hero...?

What range of hands do you put the villain on? How do we maximize in this spot? Is there a case for reraising the turn?

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say most likely AQ or Q7. Those hands are usually strong enough for a delayed reraise, and raising your flop bet would drive you out if you had tpgk/mk. And because of this read I would reraise the turn. QJ is also possible, so reraise stands. Your biggest worry at this point would be 77, and a huge rr after yours would basically be his course of action I think.

In your situation I'd check because you have simply too little information. The problem is: what does he put you on. Could you possibly represent QQ's to stop him from betting out huge? His problem is, if he represents J's (if he has them or not), you won't call such a bet on the river.

Sooo, yes, I think I would slow down. And he probably will too.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So I think on balence I probably reraise the turn hoping to get paid off if the villian has some sort of two pair/pair+draw combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this let hands like AQ and QJ off the hook too easily?

The Doc
Old 10-23-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Bottom set from blind fills on river...your move - Part 2

Good responses so far...I guess I didn't really include enough information to make the hand interesting.

Anyway, I decided that a river c/r would be the best move because I couldn't see him checking behind with the running jacks coming off. To whoever suggested it, no, you couldn't have TP + the turned flush draw.

I check, and villain bets $125 (into $72!!!). Now what.

The Doc
Old 10-23-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a case for reraising the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
A damn good one, IMO.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:08 PM

Call.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a case for reraising the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
A damn good one, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. He's not running a delayed bluff on a board of 6Q7J with two clubs. He has a hand here, of some sort, and I don't want to give him reason to dump QJ, 67, or whatever. Hell he could have bullets for all I know.

I think the line of betting flop, and then betting/3-betting the turn screams at LEAST two pair (probably better than bottom 2) and lets him get rid of the bottom end of his hand range too easily.

The Doc
Old 10-23-2005, 12:41 PM

What worse hands make a $125 value bet? What missed hands bluff for almost twice the pot (when the 125 isn't even close to an all in)?

The Doc