Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 10-25-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Experience in Hold Em\'

I have found that what I get out of anything is a ratio of what I put in. When I started out in HE the learning was fast and frequent. That was only because neither I nor the people I played against knew much more than the collective knowledge that was shared around the table.

As I gained experience (not hands played as many players never move off of first base in their play but serious thought about what was going on) the 'Aha's' became fewer but more serious and more focused, therefore more deadly.

This last week was another movement of the moon and stars occured for me, but it is even a more focused thought comprising a single situation that needs a specific game type and player type to be effective, not a whole game concept. If I explained it in the beginners forum I would get laughed off because it's a concept that a beginner would have a very difficult time undertsanding and applying because their knowledge level is very basic. They are still struggling with what hands to play preflop from what position. Poker is like TOP, a few hours to read, a few years to understand and apply even half of it correctly if you try hard.

If you cede the people you play against have enough smarts to earn enough $$ to throw away, and they know something you don't, it will go a long way to helping you play better.

How resistant you are to what you see and experience in the sessions you play determines how fast and how deep your knowledge and understanding will go. Once you accept the idea that you aren't better than everybody you play, and try to learn from that vantage, knowledge and $$ will start flowing your way. gl
Old 10-25-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Experience in Hold Em\'

[ QUOTE ]

Yea, my money management skills leave something to be desired about.

[/ QUOTE ]

This and the fact that you describe a lot of experience as "thousands" of hands make me think that you should really read this forum for a while and soak up the ideas before you even dream of sitting in a decent sized game.
-James