Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 07:59 PM

Default AQo, played strange?

I have a problem with a hand like this. I don't know where I am, so I don't know how to play.

Party 3-6.
Party Poker (9 handed) converter

Preflop: I am UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG fold and I raise. Next guy fold and the next guy (22.41/6.90/0.65/58 hands) re-raised. Everyine folded and I called.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
I check. He bet, I called.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
I check. He bet, I check-raised. He called.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
I check. He bet, and I called.

I feel Like I played strange.
Any comments?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: AQo, played strange?

I would c/r instead of c/c. If you are fearful of the straight since there are 4 to the straight then you should bet/fold. Unless you really think villian could raise as a bluff, then c/c is fine. I think your hand is good, he 3-bets KK and AA here. you're probably ahead. I go ahead and lead out on the river. What hadn does he 3-bet pf that completes a straight.

EDIT: I would prefer C/R over C/C, but betting is best. was what i meant
Old 09-14-2005, 08:06 PM

Your turn/river play is inconsistent.

Think about these two things:

1. Why did you raise the turn?
2. What is villain's hand range?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:14 PM

Bear in mind that some of my advice has been considered weak-tight at times. However, I compare this to a situation in HFAP when you raise QQ and get reraised PF by a tight player. They say to basically go into check/call mode. That way you induce bluffs by AK and lose as little as possible to KK or AA. You are not worried about giving free cards as there is a good chance you are behind anyways. I see a similar situation here, let AK, JJ, and 1010 bluff at you and pay off QQ-AA as little as possible.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:19 PM

The only hands that pose a significant threat (AA,KK,QQ, AQ),won't fold and so you'll lose an extra bet (or just break even in he holds AQ) by C-R. You'll cause hands which don't pose a threat (TT,JJ,AK) to fold and probably lose a bet on the river or a lot more if one of them has a high heart and the 4th heart comes on the river. The only hand he could have which you might have a strong incentive to raise is 99 (4.5 outs), but a lot of people won't 3 bet an early position raiser with that.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:29 PM

"What hand does he 3-bet pf that completes a straight."

I was getting some cards and raising more than usual (15.79%), so it's possible that his re-raising standard got loose. Realistically speaking, he could have 9h9x in that spot.

The reason why I checked the river is because I thought more than often I only going to get raised/called by better hands, but he'll fold worth hands. Plus, he may bluff bet the river.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:35 PM

"Your turn/river play is inconsistent."

It is. At least it seems that way. I just felt check-calling with top-pair, top-kicker, nut-flush-draw heads up was too weak. Since I had the Ah, it reduced the chance that I would get re-raised.

I have to admit that I need to think more.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:40 PM

Fine. Except bet the river.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:49 PM

there's a standard line for this kind of hand, in general, known as the way ahead, way behind line. however, given that it's a Q you paired, and you picked up a nut flush draw on the turn... i think your turn c/r is fine.

i'm undecided about the river. with a passive opponent your river lead would be unlikely to get raised, which would seem to argue in favor of betting as opposed to check/calling... but i think you want to show down here, and folding to a raise might suck
Old 09-14-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"What hand does he 3-bet pf that completes a straight."

I was getting some cards and raising more than usual (15.79%), so it's possible that his re-raising standard got loose. Realistically speaking, he could have 9h9x in that spot.

The reason why I checked the river is because I thought more than often I only going to get raised/called by better hands, but he'll fold worse hands. Plus, he may bluff bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bolded, is why you would fold to the raise. I disagree with him folding worse hands on the river. A lot of 3-bet PF hands, esp if you are 15% pfr would call this river bet and be the worse hand. I think you miss a bet by letting it get checked through. C/C loses just as much as B/F if you are behind, but miss a bet when he would have called with a worse hand.

Why do you c/r turn then get scared with a card that generally shouldn't scare you?