Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Trip Ks on the Flop

If you want to extract the maximum, is it a bad play to bet, get raised, and re-raise?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to those who like checkraising. why is checkraising better than betting or checkcalling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/raising might be best against aggressive thinking players who might now misread your hand (i.e. they would expect trip kings to slow play and might now give excessive action). Otherwise, I like check/calling.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:53 PM

I think betting this flop is very much the way to play it. The pre-flop raiser was on the button here, so you can likely trap opponents for more bets. The solid player may figure you for a hand like 77 and hopefully will raise with another overpair.

Check-raising is just likely to face much of the field with two bets cold here and encouraging folds. I can't see any reason why we'd want to check-raise here.

Check-calling just seems to be losing value here. Check-calling is nice if we can expect that we'll get a flop bet from someone earlier than button, but we can't expect that. A check-call seems only to set up one of two things:

-A turn donk... this seems to bring little over a flop lead because we're probably missing flop bets.

-A turn check-raise... this will definitely cost customers if it is the button (most likely) we are check-raising.

Oh.. yeah... FOLDING IS NOT AN OPTION IN THIS HAND... PLEASE TAKE THIS TO SHOWDOWN
Old 09-12-2005, 12:56 PM

"Check/raising might be best against aggressive thinking players who might now misread your hand"

Check-raising with the board of KK3 is less misreading than betting, IMO.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to extract the maximum, is it a bad play to bet, get raised, and re-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads-up, no. That's because heads-up QQ has a much harder time folding. But in a multi-way pot, you want to create action. One other thing you (and everyone else?), might be overlooking:

If the pre-flop raiser has a king and no one else does, you're bet accomplishes the worst possible thing. That is, it gets you heads-up with a hand you're in trouble to.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:00 PM

You should raise preflop, like others have said.

On the flop I like bet/3 betting. With your relative position to the solid player leading this flop gievs you the best chance to get in as many bets as possible. If he has a pair he will likely raise; if he doesn't have a pair he will check through too often given the number of players in the pot.

After it comes back to you 3 bet I would cap and keep firing.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads-up, no. That's because heads-up QQ has a much harder time folding. But in a multi-way pot, you want to create action. One other thing you (and everyone else?), might be overlooking:

If the pre-flop raiser has a king and no one else does, you're bet accomplishes the worst possible thing. That is, it gets you heads-up with a hand you're in trouble to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Realize that check-raising the pre-flop raiser is MUCH more likely to get you heads-up with him than betting is. If you bet and get callers, those callers are going to have a hard time folding to another bet from late position.

I don't like three-betting a late position raise, as it will encourage folds. I think calling the flop raising and leading the turn (ye 'ole' donk-bet) is going to be a better way to encourage action.

I can't see how anyone is seriously considering check-raising here...
Old 09-12-2005, 01:03 PM

"FOLDING IS NOT AN OPTION IN THIS HAND... PLEASE TAKE THIS TO SHOWDOWN"

Yes sir!

...it's just what hands are they suppose to have with the board of KK3???
Old 09-12-2005, 01:09 PM

"After it comes back to you 3 bet I would cap and keep firing."

Wow! Why so aggressive sir? But maybe I'm just too weak [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I assume you will slow donw if you get riased again on the turn, right?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:27 PM

i know betting pre flop is good, but i often have trouble when i raise preflop and dont hit and there are three and four players behind me.....you cant keep firing at that many players........what would you do with a flop like:
assume rainbow

A 4 7
or J 10 6
ect,ect?