Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 09-07-2005, 09:22 AM

Default WSOP PLO last night on ESPN

I was going to post on the WPT forum but thought here is more appropriate.

When I first saw that ESPN would be running PLO I thought "hey maybe this will expose the game to more people and bring in some holdem addicts". After watching the coverage I can't believe that anyone would play PLO.

The commentary was just plain stupid and I had a hard time following the action. Talk about blowing an opportunity. My wife turned to me and said "you play that game? I can't figure it out" I think the general public now feels the same.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: WSOP PLO last night on ESPN

I don't think the best telecast could ever convert or "bring over" Hold'Em addicts. They have to discover the game on their own.

The game's simplicity in comparison to Hold 'Em is outweighed by the complexity of draws and odds that Hold 'Em simply does not have due to 2 cards vs 4 cards. Even the players at the table in the telecast looked a tad unsure at times. Its not as simple to quickly identify draws and outs when you have to consider the 6 card combination of 4 hole card.

I've got the nuts now, but wait, this card or that card or a diamond could come now that I look at the hole cards and I'm dead..
Old 09-07-2005, 11:31 AM

Oh the commentary. I love their surprise and disgust when someone folds an AK94 3 to a suit to a raise.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:43 PM

I play a lot of Omaha/8, but I only have limited experience with PLO. I was looking forward to last night's broadcast for a little insight into tournament structure PLO. I watched the episode with a mixture of boredom and confusion and finished the show disappointed. The hands they chose to broadcast seemed to show very little strategy other than how easy it is to become pot-committed in the late stages of a tournament.

The most interesting part for me were the win percentages and how they interacted with each other as other hands entered or folded out of the pot.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:55 PM

unfortunately espn is unable to make 7stud and PLO good TV for the general public no matter how hard they try.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:35 PM

There is one very simple way for ESPN to improve WSOP coverage. Get rid of the 2 clowns and hire Phil Gordon. It's all pre-recorded anyway, so he can do the commentary AND play.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is one very simple way for ESPN to improve WSOP coverage. Get rid of the 2 clowns and hire Phil Gordon. It's all pre-recorded anyway, so he can do the commentary AND play.

[/ QUOTE ]

while we are dreaming bring back the nl 2-7 coverage and have the professor do the commentary.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:38 PM

The best was their utter disgust at Max for folding A8xx - to a board of A87 - 2 clubs.

Max had no clubs, and no straight draws. They yelled at him for folding, but even the odds didn't have him listed as a favorite.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:57 PM

I've played some PLO with Pescatore and thought his play was very weak-tight. I also don't think this fold is automatic.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:59 PM

okay- maybe not automatic - but hardly depolorable.

I do ask though - do you raise this hoping to take it down right there?

cause I can't think of a card on the turn, other than an Ace or 8 that id want to see