Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 02:45 AM

Default A567ss hand in SB

I wasn't involved in this hand at all, but was pretty surprised by the results. What's your move on the flop, and why?

$100 PL Omaha
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 5: Villain1 MP2(( $59.45 )
Seat 9: Hero SB ( $190.55 )
Seat 10: Villain2 BB( $117.90 )
Preflop, Hero dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG posts dead [$1.50], Folded to Villain1, Villain1 raises [$4], folded to Hero (SB), Hero calls [$3.50], Villain2 raises [$16], Villain1 calls [$13], Hero calls calls [$13].

** Dealing Flop ** ($50)[ 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Hero checks, Villain2 bets [$50], Villain1 calls all-In [$42.45], Hero ???
Old 08-31-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: A567ss hand in SB

If hero is going to call here , leading out is obviously better.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:31 AM

Just fold pre-flop. A567s is worth playing in position, not out of the small blind, let alone with the raising that you saw pre-flop. However, since you're in the pot, you have middle pair and an OESD to the nuts. There is no way you have the best hand at the time. There is obviously an overpair out there and maybe even a set of 9's. You're getting about 3:1 on your call, but you also might be dominated by a wrap draw with backdoor flush possiblities, so I would just drop it on the flop. You needed to hit the flop hard, with trips or a wrap straight/flush draw to proceed. Just fold and stop playing mediocre hands out of position.

I also agree with the first respondant. If you're going to call here, you should've put in the $$ yourself for the fold equity. And brother, you need all the equity you can get with this hand.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't involved in this hand at all, but was pretty surprised by the results. What's your move on the flop, and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you not read the part where he said he wasn't involved in the hand? How about just answering his question instead of making irrelevant comments. Either checking and calling a pot bet with 1 caller, or betting out is fine. Checking and calling 1 pot bet heads up however is terrible.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just fold pre-flop. A567s is worth playing in position, not out of the small blind, l

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, A567s is a good hand. I wouldn't call all those raises, but I'm limping with that badboy from any position.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on, A567s is a good hand. I wouldn't call all those raises, but I'm limping with that badboy from any position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, an ace with 3 cards that are connected and have a nut flush draw is an elite hand, I might even raise from late position with it at times because you can really break someone if the flop comes with clubs and low cards, or just low cards and they assume they will steal from you because you raised preflop with big cards. I would have called the raise in this hand preflop without even thinking, as far as the flop, it should be a fold against two people.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:13 PM

Just because I addressed it to the poster and not the 'hero', my comments are irrellevent? Pull your head out.

You guys are right A567ss is fine for limping out of the small blind, but I wouldn't call the raise or the re-raise.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:11 PM

I used to think that, the 10-20 taught me different.

gl

Dave
Old 08-31-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My move? Other than berating myself for calling the re-raise and putting myself in this tough position with more than 1/6 of my hard earned bankroll at risk? And wishing that the 9 and 4 were clubs?

OK, where I play a pot re-raise from BB equals AA. Whether it's co-ordinated or not depends on the player. The raise/call by Villain1 usually indicates a strong 4 card hand, probably with a big pair (but maybe not).

Hero's pretty much 50-50 against a naked AAxx (or any other big pair), and a 2 or 3 to 1 dog against 6789 or 99xx, much worse if the xx is co-ordinated with the flop, which it should be if he's raising with it.

Villain2 is not going anywhere with his remaining $50, so Hero's looking at $42 for a $175 three-way main pot and another $60 for a $120 two-way side pot.

The way I see it, unless Hero has reason to believe that both villians are overplaying overpairs this looks like a probable zero EV situation or worse. With a 50% chance to win the side pot and a 20% chance (if against AAxx and 678x) to win the main pot Hero's $100 can expect to return an average of about $100. Any further co-ordination amongst the Villians leads to large -EVs.

To me, small positive + big negative = fold and wait for better situations.

When are you going to tell us what the surprising results were?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:46 AM

The problem with A567 is when you make the nuts, no-one can make the idiot end straight to pay you off.