Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: The REAL Reason........Why Airlines Lose Money.

The fact you used the word secondary to describe their effect does nothing to lessen your mischaracterization of the pilots' unions as militant.
You accuse me of mischaracterizing the "pilot's union". I say you are delusional. I challenge you to show me where I said the 'PILOT'S union' is militant. I challenge you to show me where I even used the word "PILOT" in my post. You can't... You made that up.

I said militant unions. In the airline industry the pilot's union is usually the best behaved. The steward and mechanics union seem to be the most harmful to the airline industry.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:42 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
The fact you used the word secondary to describe their effect does nothing to lessen your mischaracterization of the pilots' unions as militant.
You accuse me of mischaracterizing the "pilot's union". I say you are delusional. I challenge you to show me where I said the 'PILOT'S union' is militant. I challenge you to show me where I even used the word "PILOT" in my post. You can't... You made that up.

I said militant unions. In the airline industry the pilot's union is usually the best behaved. The steward and mechanics union seem to be the most harmful to the airline industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vague statements act as a damnation of the many. If this was your actual intent, I urge you to be more cautious with your posts next time.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Cutting corners

[ QUOTE ]
Always within regulations, the cut-price airlines (which is what I was referring to by the term "new airlines" because the other "new" ones are just mergers) are shaving costs by getting around proper maintenance and safety precautions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to back up this vague assertion with some actual evidence or should we just shut up and believe because Cyrus says so?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Cutting corners

[ QUOTE ]
OK.

Always within regulations, the cut-price airlines (which is what I was referring to by the term "new airlines" because the other "new" ones are just mergers) are shaving costs by getting around proper maintenance and safety precautions. They are "assisted" in this endeavor by cutting down on various supporting jobs and hiring some mechanic and pilot jocks/hot shots, who are then encouraged to engage in cowboy acts.

The Helios Airline tragedy last week was, it appears, the outcome of such practices.

The upshot (for the company) is that the plane leaves on time -- and flies cheaply.

Meantime, stodgy old foggies such as British Airways or Qantas will delay a plane for an hour making sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? Southwest is the safest US carrier with 0 fatalities since it started operation in 1974 (9.5 million flights!). No other major US carrier (nor British Airways, with about 2/3rds the flights of Southwest) can say the same.

http://www.airsafe.com/airline.htm
Old 08-22-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As for militant unions and bad management, these are seconadary reasons for poor preformance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Militant unions? No pilot's union has gone on strike recently. Meanwhile, they've all taken drastic pay cuts while the executives' bonuses and retirement funds go untouched.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might not be a pilots union, but... Link

What is your definition of recently? Link'

Keep up to date on the CURRENT NWA strike.. Link

The problem with the airlines is above all, the unions.

The problem with the educational system in this country is above all, the unions.

A lot of problems in this country are caused by unions. I guess they are important, but they screw everyone in the end.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:20 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's certainly not a pilots' union.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post-9/11

[/ QUOTE ]

...of mechanics. Actually, it's the same strike as in your first link.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's certainly not a pilots' union.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post-9/11

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...of mechanics. Actually, it's the same strike as in your first link.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trying to do anything but inform that there is a current strike going on with a major airline. Just because its NOT the pilots union doesn't mean unions aren't the biggest problem with the old airlines.