Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 08:35 PM

Default $100+9s back to the $10s

I currently 8 tabling the $100s. I am working on a side project of teaching my cousin how to play the 10s. He has never really played poker before but picked it up pretty quickly. Its been a while since I've played the 10s though and I was wondering what some of the major changes I have to make from my game to fit the playing style of the 10s?
Also any advice about teaching a player who has never played in general.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: $100+9s back to the $10s

Watch your FE go down a lot. People will call without regard to stack-sizes, gap concept, and pretty much everything you've learned at 2+2 about push/folding.

You need to adapt to this by not shoving any 2 as big stack against donks.

Also, don't try to make too many good laydowns. Folding QQ on a J53 board can be easy at the $109's. At the $11's, wow, that's hard.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:49 PM

IMO at 11$ they are big caller. It's difficult to chase away with your QQ etc in early game.
In the end you have to increase the calling range of your opponnent too ...
They play "BIG bluff" too

All this stuff make me believe that finally, you should play some little better hand than the one you play at 109$.
And play really agressively your QQ+
On AK at 11$ I have a problem.
You have to make a big bet to really avoid 2 limpers, and in the same time you have only 800 stack. So if you play AK you should to be prepared to ga allin. Happily you will get called by some crap like A2+ QJ preflop, enough to make AK +ev ...
Old 08-12-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO at 11$ they are big caller.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your native language? I am guessing Japanese....
Old 08-12-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] What is your native language? I am guessing Japanese....

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm from europe. And I know my english is bad and poor, if you don't understand, do not hesitate to ask me
Old 08-12-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is your native language? I am guessing Japanese.... [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] No, I'm from europe. And I know my english is bad and poor, if you don't understand, do not hesitate to ask me

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an idea on the purpose of your post. Since japanese have not the word "I"
I could have forget a H in IMO
Old 08-12-2005, 09:59 PM

Why don't you show him that sheet that details how you should play 10+1s? It's a large word document..
Old 08-12-2005, 10:06 PM

Because I think he will learn alot faster if i teach him while we play side by side. And that sheet tells you how to beat them, not how to beat them for a high ROI
Old 08-12-2005, 10:29 PM

I teach for a living... until I master the 100's. So here is some advice on how to teach the 10's.

Start with the basics.
Explain the basic goals for each stage of the tourney. Aleo's guide is a good start but extrapolate the general strategy first.

Something like...
You win tournies by taking advantage of the mistakes that other players make. Here are some of the mistakes that they seem to make and how we can capitalize on it.

Early in the tourney the maniac fish will be ruling the game. Too many hands will be played, they will be too loose.

Later in the game when it gets close to the money the players tend to play to tight.

As the game goes on the blind increase. This has a HUGE effect on game play. In early stages the amount of money that is automatically in the pot due to the blinds is INSIGNIFICANT. As the tourney moves on a higher percentage of all the chips in play will be in the middle and the blinds become worth fighting for.

So that lays the basic framework.

Then explain how to take advantage of these errors made by other players. Make sure he/she understands why they are making the moves that you advise.

Something like....
Early in the game.. Blinds are meaningless, players are maniacs or calling stations. How do we beat maniacs and calling stations ?? Wait for premium hands. basically fold fold fold.

Later on in the game.
Blinds are meaninful, well more significant. A few maniacs have busted out and the calling stations are short stacked. Play a few more hands. A few less players means that your hands increase in value, relatively. And the fools have probably busted out. Explain why playing against fools is actually hard, if everyone plays garbage then garbage is most likely to win, or something like that. I guess it is not hard to beat the fools but variance is high so we wait for a more reasonable time to make our move. Variance kills early on, survival is key. You would rather have 600 chips against 6 players than 800 against 10.

Late in the game..
Players tighten up blinds are significant.
How to take advantage of that ? Turn on the aggression. Raise more hands, steal the blinds.

Add some general poker strategy. The importance of position. How to judge a hands value, Use terms like top pair, middle pair, overpair etc. Get the noob to understand that a hands value has to do mostly with it's relation to the flop. Talk about putting other players on a hand. etc..

Also..
Most people learn by DOING !! You can lecture all you want and have him read a good book but until we witness our own two pair getting beat by the obvious flush on the board we do not KNOW to look out for the flush.

Some folks learn by watching, so he may benefit from watching you play but most likely he will have to play to learn.

Only PHD's and lawyers learn by reading and listening..they will have to play quite a few games.

Also....
I dunno general stuff that we all know that it is easy to forget that we know it. Such as Pocket pair strategy, odds of the set, the power of a set and when it is worth it to play a PP. Basic odds, start simple, odds of flush draw completing, OESD etc.

I dunno no need to go too deep into odds because SNG's at party are mostly a preflop bet followed by a post flop push or fold.

I hope that helps, Start with the basic strategy and then show how to implement the strategy.

Also when I first found this site and forum I was NOT a blind stealer. It was hard to believe that it worked so well. Let him know that blind stealing becomes a core part of the strategy somewhere around level 4. I kept a sheet of successful blind steals vs failed blind steals and after I saw the 70 % or higher success rate I was convinced. Make sure that he understands the power of key strategies such as aggression on the bubble etc..

Good luck with your student.

--
tjh
Old 08-12-2005, 10:34 PM

you are an idiot , do you even speak a second language????