Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Hit a weak flush on the river; bet it?

5/10 6-handed. I'm SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and 1200 behind. I'm playing tighter and more passive preflop than usual since I think some of the other players are gunning for me, but I'm still playing quite aggressively postflop. Two limpers, I complete, LAG BB with 950 behind who I think may be targetting me minraises to 20, everyone calls.

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with 80 in the pot.

I check, BB bets 40, folded to me, I call to see what happens on the turn.

Turn Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] with 160 in the pot.

I check, BB bets 50, I make it 200, he calls.

River 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with 560 in the pot.

He has about 700 left. Is my garbage flush any good? I see bet/folding or check/folding as viable options.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Hit a weak flush on the river; bet it?

I really don't see why you didn't just choose to fold on the flop...your redraws suck and you have a bottom pair.

i don't see what you are trying to do on the turn either, the Q is not particularly a scare card given the board. I guess you just thought "let's raise a weak bet cuz i can't call" but I really think you should have just folded on the turn too.

after all the disaterous plays, I think you should lead for about 1/3 and fold to a raise.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:51 PM

Do you never call the flop in order to make a move later? I do it a lot; maybe it's a leak?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:52 PM

I do, but almost exclusively in position only.

I think trying to float w/o position and strong a read on villan's hand range is a leak.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do, but almost exclusively in position only.

I think trying to float w/o position and strong a read on villan's hand range is a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

couldn't agree more
Old 08-12-2005, 06:41 PM

the delay bluff oop isnt terrible since you've been playing very tight, if done mainly for metagame purposes (very sparingly), although oop it's usually better (and cheaper) to just lead the turn. the turn c/r wouldnt be nearly as bad if you didnt have the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] because there are some reverse implied odds you have to deal with and you've inflated the pot quite a bit.
this is one of those "feel" hands that are almost completely dependant on reads.

you can ,of course, recover completely from misplaying this hand if you call him an idiot for calling you on the turn with top two and no flush draw and then type in "bloop bloop" a bunch of times.