Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Bad hand in many aspects: 98o in CO with late position blind

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, Hero (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (9.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

The reason why I 3-bet the flop was because I thought my hand might be best and the pot was large so I didn't want to fold. Seems terrible in retrospect.

Anyhow, I know this hand was badly played but I think I need to listen to a comprehensive review of my mistakes.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Bad hand in many aspects: 98o in CO with late position blind

With out reads, I'm not comfortable playing 89o just yet. But its not that big a deal. If you raised the flop because you thought you had the best hand, what did the 6 falling change? Bet the turn. The way you played it, I'd probably raise the river also.

EDIT: man its late, I didnt see that you raised to a 3bet on the flop....fold that flop!
Old 08-11-2005, 05:29 AM

Fold preflop. With just one limper and 3 to act behind you, i don't think 98o is worth another SB, even with position on the raiser. Did you have a read on MP2 that made you want to play with him?

Fold the flop.

Since you've 3-bet that flop, i think you have to bet the brick that falls on the turn. This way, you can get check-raised by a 3 and have another chance to get out of this hand.

MP2 could well have made his flush on the river, but i don't think you can fold with two pair here, though you can't be excited about SB acting behind you. If he raises, you're probably stuck calling another bet (though you can fold if MP2 3-bets).
Old 08-11-2005, 05:33 AM

You guys do realize that on the river the OP is only beating 22, 44, 55, 77, and 9x pairs? I think this is a flop fold.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:50 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

folding preflop would be bad.

not that I like 3-betting the flop, but if you're going to 3-bet it, you have to bet the turn. nothing has changed.

something you might not ahve considered is the fact that you have very few outs if behind (2). nomrally you have 5 here which makes 3-betting a lot more appealing. having 2 outs is significantly worse