Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: More job advice - salary negotiations

good luck nothumb. I think for your plan to work they must need you to move on some level. If they are just as happy with you staying put then no I don't think it will unless they are decent people.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suggestions lofted down from his high horse, oozing with pretentiousness.

[/ QUOTE ]
Christ, does anybody like you?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Suggestions lofted down from his high horse, oozing with pretentiousness.

[/ QUOTE ]
Christ, does anybody like you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I didn't realize 'being liked' was the goal. In that case...

My new advice is...

Ask the person next to you how much they make. Then go into the bosses office and demand either the same pay, more, or else you are walking!

How's that?

Oh, but wait...That will get you fired since discussion of pay rates with co-workers is typically a dismissable offense at most (if not all) companies.

So I guess I'll have to stick with my original advice.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I didn't realize 'being liked' was the goal.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was asking if anybody liked you at all. In life. Nothing to do with the advice or this situation.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:04 PM

NT,

I read OOT frequently so I’m pretty familiar w/ your situation and your life from what you post. I think you’re an incredibly smart guy with lots of passion and have always thought you were underemployed. I don't say any of that lightly.

I managed a private residential treatment center for juveniles for a short time and the sad fact of the matter is the job does not pay much money at any level. If your passion is working w/ juveniles and doing it in that setting, I would recommend looking at the county level in probation. I’m not sure what the NY scene is like but that is how Texas and Colorado are organized (the two states I am familiar w/). The government system pays far and away much better than private (yet even this leaves much to be desired).

Oh, and coincidently, when I started at this RTC the guy that interviewed me told me I was going to be getting one salary. When I showed up to work the first day he told me that he made a mistake in calculating some experience and HR refigured my salary would be lower. A few days later, I told him that I had turned down another job offer to take that job based on the original salary and I had a scheduled another meeting w/ the other RTC (all of which was true.) He made a few phone calls and by the end of the day, I had the original salary back.

Point being if you were offered a price and it was pulled away you do have a good reason to fight for it. you need to ask yourself if you’re willing to put up the fight.

bwana
Old 08-10-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I didn't realize 'being liked' was the goal.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was asking if anybody liked you at all. In life. Nothing to do with the advice or this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, since my real life does not have a Poll Option, I will have to assume that inviting me to home games, ball games, golfing, to photograph their weddings and asking for PC advice means....Yes.

Nice try though.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:21 PM

Has urinating in his office been suggested. Apparently this is the newest negotiation technique being thrown around 00t.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:10 PM

Work with the System:

Approach your new supervisor/manager, who offered you the new position. "I accepted the offer of the new position with the understanding that the salary was $x. Now manager "Asshat" has informed me that it is going to be x-$1000. Is this a mistake?"

Then both of you can work on manager "Asshat" to get a fair salary negotiated (it may be somewhere between x and x-1000...)
Old 08-10-2005, 03:30 PM

Nothumb, you need to realize that you are in good position here. You hold some power and you should use it.

They have a position that they need to fill and they are convinced that you are the right person to fill it. If you decide not to take the position they will have to spend considerable time and money to find a new candidate.

I don't think you have anything to lose by playing hardball. As you said, its a game to them. They are not going to withdraw the job offer if you fight them on the salary and they will probably respect you more in the long run.

Even if they don't give in to your demands, you could get some concession from them. For instance, if they typical review salaries after one year, maybe they can move that up to 6 months.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:40 PM

Just so we're clear: Don't actually call him "Asshat" unless that's his name.