Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-09-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Not a fan of being checkminraised

The checkminraise or minraise after I raise preflop is really annoying. Depending on the player, it can be either a test with nothing or a monster. The trouble is when I don't know the player. Party 5/10 6-handed. Villain is 40/0 preflop through like 20 hands, and that's all I have to work with. I open in the CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to 50 with 1100 behind after Villain limps to my right. He has me covered, and SB with 450 behind comes along for the ride.

Flop 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] with 160 in the pot.

Both check to me and I bet 120. SB folds, Villain minraises to 240. I call.

Turn 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with 640 in the pot.

Checked through.

River J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with 640 in the pot.

Villain bets 200, I push for 600 more.

What am I doing? He probably has clubs, air, or a monster. If I push the turn, he may make a bad call with clubs, so I waited for a blank river. Am I just a big fish? This hand felt weird.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Not a fan of being checkminraised

I dont like the call on the flop
Old 08-09-2005, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like the call on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it gets even more complicated because of the check on the turn, but this indicates a flush draw to me. He check/raised you on the flop to show strength and then decides to slow it down on the turn. Unless he's trying to get real cute and go for a second check/min raise, I don't see him taking this line with a set. Once the river comes, you obviously are pushing or folding, and although it sucks to not have a good read on the opponent, I think I push here against an unknown. He could of course be representing a bluff after a missed flush when he really has a set, but I think you get a fold here enough times for it to be profitable.

All being said though, I don't like to get in these situations and if I lead out on the flop and get c/r then I often lay down a hand with little potential and get out cheaply. But since you decided to call the flop raise, I go with the push at the end.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:45 PM

I also don't like the flop call.

Aside from that, if you raise this river only worse hands are folding and better ones are calling. There's nothing wrong with just calling on the end here unless you think he's got some crazy 2 pair or something then fine. I think he calls with either a set (weird play by him) or the straight. I think he has 5 6 (or 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img])
Old 08-09-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aside from that, if you raise this river only worse hands are folding and better ones are calling. There's nothing wrong with just calling on the end here unless you think he's got some crazy 2 pair or something then fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Queen-high. Calling is probably bad.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:45 PM

If I have AK, I think pushing the turn is better because I'm beating a club draw that may call. Anyone disagree? I don't think Villain is putting me on a backdoor heart flush; he either has a busted draw or a weak pair and folds or he has a 9 or better and calls.