Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Another tough spot with bottom set

2-5 NL at the Borg. Relevant players are UTG or UTG+1 (can't recall) with like $550-600, MP2 with about $190 and I cover all.

I'm in MP with 33. Two limps, I limp, MP2 limps. Probably 6 or 7 see the flop for $5 apiece. The table has been pretty loose passive before the flop except for an asian fellow to my right (not involved in this hand). MP2 is playing tight/predictable, and UTG seems to be playing straightforwardly except I saw him raise 4d5d one hand on the button or CO and bet three streets with a busted flush draw. He got called down by TPTK.

Flop ($40): 763r

UTG leads for $35. Fold to me, I call. MP2 goes all in. Fold back to UTG who goes all in. Hero...?

This is the first time the table has seen flop all-ins in a long time, at least 2 hrs or so. From MP2's demeanor, I know he is very strong. UTG is at the other end of the table (10 seat, I'm in the 3 seat) so it's tough to get a good read on him.

Thoughts?

The Doc
Old 08-09-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Another tough spot with bottom set

I fold. My experience is that all-ins live are with much stronger hands than online and I fold this hand 99% of the time readless online. Unless both of them have the straight you are in horrible shape.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:04 AM

I don't think you can fold a set in SSNL, especially at the Borg. On the other hand, having seen my set over set all-in 3 way experience at the Borg, you should fold, and wait for a better spot.

Likely, one has two pair and the other has the made straight. Now, you are drawing live against the straight, but the problem is, if the board pairs, you are likely beat by the guy with two pair. Knowing your EV in this particular situation, I fold.

Your EV

You could also be up against a better set. You would be risking 500ish, with most of your money heads up against the guy who plays 45s. Just remember a key lesson in SSNL, "don't go broke in an unraised pot."
Old 08-09-2005, 08:16 AM

don't go broke in an unraised pot is a cliche and rubbish even if it seems related to similar, more useful principles.

Who calls with 77 but not 33?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:18 AM

I would call. UTG push looks like isolation. I think he would want(with 45) you to call. I think you are ahead of UTG here, taking stacks to consideration it is a call.IMO
Old 08-09-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, in a heartbeat. I probably call with 66 as well.

What I really dont want to happen is to be dead to a higher set AND a straight, so with middle or top set I know I (virtually) always have outs.

The Doc
Old 08-09-2005, 11:37 AM

Default RESULTS

I thought about it and folded face up. The table was shocked, and the fold was called "professional" by 2 of the better players at the table.

The real problem was that I was sure one of the two villains had me beat, 100%. However I couldn't know for sure which one it was, so I couldn't hope to play for the side pot successfully.

Anyway I folded. UTG turned up AA and MP2 turned up 66. I would have been good for a nice sized sidepot.

I think the stack sizes make this an interesting hand because without a very good read I can't be sure if I"m playing for the whole pot or just the side pot. And folding a set is always tough but I only had to think for about 30 seconds or so about it.

Thanks for all the comments.

The Doc
Old 08-09-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, in a heartbeat. I probably call with 66 as well.

What I really dont want to happen is to be dead to a higher set AND a straight, so with middle or top set I know I (virtually) always have outs.

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, 77 makes this a no brainer, count me in as well. There is absolutely no way you can be dominated and you are practically getting the right odds to fill up if they both have straights (if MP had a full stack you would be regardless). Given that 66 or 33 (among other hands) could be in their hand range there is not much to think about.

With 33 you have some thinking to do.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

nice hand, did you get yelled at by the dealer for folding face up with two other players still in? or no, since they were all-in?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
nice hand, did you get yelled at by the dealer for folding face up with two other players still in? or no, since they were all-in?

[/ QUOTE ]

No because I was closing the action.

The Doc