Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Let\'s talk bowling for a minute.

I know some of you bowlers are out there right now.

I just got a schedule change at work, so I will be able to bowl in the Friday Night Classic League at my local house. I'm excited. I'm looking for a new ball to give me a new look for the fall season. My current equipment is old and I need a change.

Today a buddy let me throw his Lane 1 Super Carbide Bomb. This is like a $300 ball. It definitely had a good reaction, and I think I could do even better with it if I were to get used to throwing 16 pounds again (all my equipment is 15 right now and I haven't been bowling much).

I'm also looking at a few new balls. I generally like Storm balls, so the X-Factor Ace and the Vertigo are possibilities. I think I could get either one used, which is good cause both are really expensive.

The pro shop owner bowls with me Monday nights and he let me throw his Columbia U-Turn tonight, another ball with some great action. I haven't had great feelings about Columbia equipment, but this one was a nice marble.

Any thoughts on bowling balls for the upcoming season? Personally I'm a high-rev, high speed bowler, so I look for something aggressive that can get down the line and then really move.

My favorite ball of all time was the original Cuda/C. When that thing was new I got a ridiculous reaction from it.

NT
Old 08-09-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Let\'s talk bowling for a minute.

Man, don't look at me, I'm using the same Danger Zone I've had for 100 years. I love it tho, that thing hits hard. But I'd be interested in hearing some good suggestions for new balls too.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, don't look at me, I'm using the same Danger Zone I've had for 100 years. I love it tho, that thing hits hard. But I'd be interested in hearing some good suggestions for new balls too.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only Brunswick ball I ever liked was the original Zone, got decent movement from that.

If you want to talk old school, right now my primary ball is an ORIGINAL Hammer Big Blue (still hits like a ton, I might have it resurfaced and scrap buying a new ball). I back that up with an AMF Slam.

NT
Old 08-09-2005, 01:44 AM

Switch to candlepin bowling. It's more challenging and artistic.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:35 AM

I guess hammer is back in the competitive market. I was just overhearing some people talking about this at a poker tournament at the local bowling alley. Other than that I am not much help either, my equipment is also pretty old.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:45 AM

I definitely suggest the Inferno line. The best being the original Inferno, the Ultimate, and the Absolute. There is a pro from around here who is on Columbia staff and he has told me himself that the Infernos are the best balls around and all the other companies are trying to copy their reaction.

I've been throwing pretty much all Brunswick for awhile now. I still have a few other balls I will throw on certain shots but mainly my arsenal is all Big B.

I have heard good things about the Particle U-Turn though. All the Lane 1 stuff rolls nice but it's not worth the money really. MoRich equipment is also very very good. Hammer is back and is making decent equipment. I know a guy on Hammer staff and he rarely ever says a ball is junk. Actually, I have a Hammer High Rev with about 10 games on it I'd sell for 100 bucks. (It rolls great I just don't have any room for it in my equipment)

There are all kinds of ball review sites out there.

www.ballreviews.com
www.bowlingballreviews.com

I'm sure there are plenty more.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:58 AM

my ball is called the tornado but i bowl better using a house ball so i guess about the only piece of advice i have is dont get a tornado.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my ball is called the tornado but i bowl better using a house ball so i guess about the only piece of advice i have is dont get a tornado.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same ball my girlfriend has. It's sparkly and they gave it to her for free for bowling in a summer league.

NT
Old 08-09-2005, 03:17 AM

I've never liked or trusted Brunswick and the Infernos I've thrown didn't suit me. They were a big fad around here for a month or so, then a lot of people complained that the ball just died on them.

I usually avoid particle balls as they tend to roll out on me (tons of hand).

[ QUOTE ]
All the Lane 1 stuff rolls nice but it's not worth the money really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, which is why I'm happy this guy is letting me throw his for free. Ball only has like 20 games on it and it's drilled pretty close to how I would have done it. Only trouble is the weight. I'm really not used to 16 any more and it'll take some training to be able to throw one again.

I guess the common wisdom is that you can carry just as well with 15 (I've certainly found this to be the case). But when you're getting a free top of the line ball, you make hay.

NT
Old 08-09-2005, 03:21 AM

im a big fan of the "11" or the "12", green and blue respectively.

sometimes, and this is rare, i'll use the "10", but only when i need it to go straighter rather than hook to the right.