Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 07-19-2005, 12:16 AM

Default Foxwoods 5/5 NL

I'm heading up to the Fox this weekend and planning on playing the 5/5 game. I've heard on this board and elsewhere that the game plays a lot bigger than comparable 2/5 and 5/5 games in AC or NYC. Could someone elaborate? Does this mean just that the game is deeper, so you wind up not being able to back nearly as many hands with your stack? Or that the players are substantially better or more aggressive than the typical compulsive gambler idiots that inhabit the AC games?

Looking for any sort of heads up. Thanks in advance.

The Doc
Old 07-19-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods 5/5 NL

I play nowhere near this game. But here are a few recent posts from it that I found interesting. Perhaps they will help you get a feel for it.

Straddled hand

AA hand

Trips re-raised

KK hand

AQs hand
Old 07-19-2005, 12:30 AM

I would talk to thabadguy, he was a regular in that game and knows a lot about how it plays.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:34 AM

twp

i admire

your candor

but

i do not admire

your url posting skills

edit: i like your editing skills best

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 12:34 AM

Blow me. Posting links to searched pages is messed up. I fixed them just for you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 01:50 AM

i played there a few weeks ago. i bought in for $600, which was significantly less than most of the players had. the benefit is that they doubled and tripled me up with weak ass hands. i played for about 8 hours over 2 days and netted out over $2,500.

the benfit of playing "short" (120BB compared to 1000BB) is that the big, big stacks are playing against eachother more than against you, especially if you're playing tight. so you can step in with premium hands and snap up decent sized pots against the moves that they're making gainst eachother.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:46 AM

in my limited experience it is a very profitable game. the thing is, having a hand hold up is like trying to wade through a mine field. the game plays very loose and since it plays quite deep (many +1500 stacks on a table) basically any pocket pair is seeing the flop, almost regardless of price. preflop raises are often $30-$40, just so the initial raiser can somewhat protect their hand.

the deep stack thing is kind of weird even: i've sat there for 10-12 hour sessions and seen none of the guys with 5k+ go allin, or even close to it.

but, i have only played there a few times, so this might not be totally accurate. still, i didn't find the stack sizes intimidating (because they don't use them) and the skill level was mediocre at best.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:43 AM

Its a great game, my fave game by far. But it suits people with a LAG style. You'll find an assortment of fish and real strong players, not many mediocre ones. I havent played there since january, but aggie has.
If you wanna sit in, i think you should either sit in with less thank 1k or over 5k, it becomes a tough game to play , if sitting with 2-3k, cuz that way the big stacks do mind doublnig you up, but u might not feel comfortable backing a hand, so it might not be optimal poker IMO.
Just watch out for the big stacks(20k) they're normally "pros", other than those guys, the other ppl there are easy to beat.
Umm sometimes it becomes a rock garden, which is why a LAG style does so well to loosen them up and put them in gambool mode. Depends on who is playing the table, ur either gonna see constant small to mediocre pots, or constant large pots.
I dont this it is accurate to say that it is usual to sit for a 10 hr session and not see a big stack go all-in, although i do agree that some ppl sit with the large stack as a posturing move, these are the guys who normally play weak-tight and can be pushed off hands.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:31 AM

Not much I can say that hasn’t already been said. The main difference is that the stacks are deeper. There are some very good players that play in the game but they are the minority. Usually the game is very good and extremely profitable but every once in a while it’s a nitfest. I don’t think that will happen on the weekend though.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:29 AM

aggie, dankhank, and thebadguy have it correct.

I would just like to add that when certain regulars are sitting at the table the 5/5NL game is the best action in the poker room and can be extremly profitable.

Additionally, I have found the majority of the players sitting 1000BB+ to be very weak-tight (not all of them, but most) unless I am around 100-200BB. They usually have no problem doubling players up who sit short.

Also, get there early. Unless they open more than one 5/5 table you could easily be waiting 2hours+ for a seat. All the regular faces I see tend to "dig in" on the weekends.

Good Luck.