Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2003, 03:22 PM

Default Re: 34 off suite or 95 suited

Neither. Now when you fold for just one chip, they're going to give you some respect when you raise the next hand from the button.

Or, to look at it from the opposite perspective, when you take down the pot w/ your nine-high flush, they'll cold-call your button 3-bet w/ AA when they have AQo and pay you off all the way. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 03:44 PM

"Do you want 34 off suit or 95 suited?"

It depends. What's the flop?

Old 02-11-2003, 03:46 PM

I don't think Tommy offered advice. I believe he said he would fold and explained why he would do it.

I suspect that the inability of a relatively high percentage of players to throw away lousy hands from the small blind pre-flop in games in which the small blind is 2/3 of the big blind is one reason why they sustain bigger losses in those games than they would were the small blind 1/2 of the big blind.

Granting that pre-flop decisions may not be that important compared to how you play post-flop, I find it awfully hard to play 4-3 and 9-5 with two players behind me. Call me a mediocrity with a brain leak. Hell, they're pretty hard to play with two players in front of me. I prefer to be pounding a guy from behind (no jokes please) than guessing from in front.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:49 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

"I don't think Tommy offered advice. I believe he said he would fold and explained why he would do it."

if memory serves, i believe the thread was called something like 'how i make a living at limit holdem'. this implies it's how he makes his money, which could certainly be construed as advice if it's given in public on a forum largely dedicated to advice.

"I suspect that the inability of a relatively high percentage of players to throw away lousy hands from the small blind pre-flop in games in which the small blind is 2/3 of the big blind is one reason why they sustain bigger losses in those games than they would were the small blind 1/2 of the big blind."

i think the bigger problem is that they suck with them post-flop. if they can't handle flopping a 9 with 95s, by all means, they should pitch it.

fwiw, i would probably fold 34o unless the limper was gomer pyle. 95s i would play without question.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:49 PM

Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 03:57 PM

Kevin,

I absolutely mean this with the most sincerest and all due respect, however I find it somewhat troubling that you, or anyone else for that matter would actually respond to a specific post, mine in this particular situation, without having read it in its entirety. With this said, I do understand that my posts are lengthy, likely far too lengthy in many cases, but at the very least, and the only thing I will say in my defense, whether they are right or wrong, I do put a lot of time, thought, and sincerity in my efforts.

By your own admission, I am guessing you read Soh's and my post in a somewhat more hasty fashion than normal and I just wanted to clarify that the situation was not heads up. From my interpretation of Soh's post, the situation described was three handed unless the big blind folds his hand pre-flop for no raise - highly unlikely after posting a big blind.

In regards to my comment, I did not clearly state my intention when I stated "it is easier to flop top pair with 95 suited and lose" You are correct from an odds perspective and I did not write what I meant thus it came out different than I intended.

What I meant was that I feel that it is more likely that one can be facing a 9 with a greater kicker when having 95 suited and a flop with 9 high on it, than flopping a 4 for top pair and be faced with a hand with a 4 with a better kicker in it. I feel there are more hands with a 9 in them that an average opponent is likely to play than there are with a 4 in them an opponent is likely to play. To name a few... I would think 89, 910, 9J, 9Q, K9, A9, and possibly even 79, not to mention all of these hands suited. I feel these 14 hands (7 not suited and 7 suited) are likely candidates for an average opponent to see the flop with.

As far as hands with a 4 in them, the ones I can think of are A4, and 45, with 46 possibly being in there as well. Anwy, this is all speculation but I see less playable hands with a 4.

Since I do feel there are likely more playable hands with a 9 in them than a 4 in them, my thoughts are that when you flop a 9 for top pair, I feel there is a greater chance, given the likely holding of your opponents, you are beat. However, I understand I still may be way off on this.

I understand you are very busy, and have not yet had a chance to read my all too lengthy post, but my main point is at the end of the post and I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. I know for a fact that you think as much or likely more about the game than I do and I would be very interested in your take on my interpretation on the real value a situation such as this truly offers. As I stated in much more detail in my initial response, I do not think the true value is in the percentages of one hand vs the other.

Sorry if I jumped on you in the beginning about not reading my 3000 word essay in its entirety before responding. It was just that my true point was at the end and I am guessing you did not get that far and I was hoping to hear your thoughts based on that.

Regardless, as I anticipated, I can see already that I am definitely going to be in the minority regarding my thoughts on this. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Just some thoughts...

Michael D.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:00 PM

Actually, its very very difficult to flop top pair with 43 [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 04:01 PM

agreed!!!
Old 02-11-2003, 04:02 PM

Default LMAO

LMAO!!!
Old 02-11-2003, 04:20 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i'm responding to your second post, and i only read a few sentences of it AND only a few sentences of the first.

they're really long, incorrect responses to a really simple question. 95s makes more money.