Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 03:41 PM

Default A/Q Sooooooted, Troublesome hand

5/10 NL Bodog, 8 handed

Villain has ~$1,000
Hero has him covered

Villain over the past couple of days has been playing super donkish, calling down a lot of bets and losing...Seems to be playing a little more solid this session, but has only sat down for 5-6 orbits.

Villain raises to 50 UTG+1 to 50...standard raise for him, little high for the game...I call behind with A/Q spades

(115) Ad th 4s...Villain bets 60, hero calls 60
(235) Ad th 4s 5s...Villain checks, hero..?

Interested in all streets, but if you favor betting the turn, what's your plan for the river if I whiff on the flush. Thanks in advance all.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: A/Q Sooooooted, Troublesome hand

I don't think I bet here. I don't want to be check-raised, as that would make me puke in my mouth a little.

Also, he'll fold KK / QQ probably unless you bet smallish. Check behind and pray for Ks to hit - then overbet on the river [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If you whiff, put in a 1/2 pot bet on the river when he checks to you again.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:46 PM

I like a check behind on the turn.

any hand that has you beat right now won't fold to a turn bet and you'll be hardpressed to fold to a 1/3 pot bet on the river even though you've inflated potsize on the turn and that 1/3 pot size bet on the river would be pretty sizable in relation to stack size.

Also, because its backdoor draw, you are pretty well disguised and very likely to get paid off if you hit.

if villain has a monster right now like a set, you don't want to face a turn checkraise without ability to see free river.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:17 PM

I disagree. Given your read of Villain calling down a lot bets I think you will make more in the long run by betting $75 on the turn. If you don't make 2-pair or flush you can check behind on the river. Against a solid player you would want to avoid CR and get cheap river but against donk I think you will miss too much value here. Pretend you have AQ offsuit, wouldn't you bet here against this opponent?

If he does CR raise you just make a decision on based on the size of his bet.

Also, if you check here and miss river will you call a pot-sized bet on river?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. Given your read of Villain calling down a lot bets I think you will make more in the long run by betting $75 on the turn. If you don't make 2-pair or flush you can check behind on the river. Against a solid player you would want to avoid CR and get cheap river but against donk I think you will miss too much value here. Pretend you have AQ offsuit, wouldn't you bet here against this opponent?

If he does CR raise you just make a decision on based on the size of his bet.

Also, if you check here and miss river will you call a pot-sized bet on river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I lose the same amount if I am behind and I check here and call a pot sized bet on the river, vs me betting here, getting called and calling a 1/3 pot to 1/2 pot sized bet on river.

when I check behind and if he checks the river, I'll bet the river.

I don't want to blow my chances of winning a big pot by just for getting an extra turn bet when I'll check behind on the river anyways.

with AQ off, I might check behind on the turn as well as I don't want to play a huge pot with it.