Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Stay at home dad/poker player..... is it possible?

Hey all, well I'm not a stay at home dad, don't have kids, and am not married. But I've long felt that would be a great job down the road, especially if my wife was a doctor.

How many of you out there are actual stay at home dads who play poker for a living?

Do you recommend this? Is it possible?

mooks
Old 06-27-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Stay at home dad/poker player..... is it possible?

Read the weekly journal of "davidross" entitled "Playing Online for a Living."

Here's the first one.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many of you out there are actual stay at home dads who play poker for a living?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me... but I won't be a dad for another month.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you recommend this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, if you make money and are used to sitting in front of a computer all day... yes. If not, I wouldn't recommend it.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, if you make money and are used to sitting in front of a computer all day... yes.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:44 PM

The David Ross journals are a good example of a stay at home Dad who has done it (is doing it).

This is the route I would like to take if/when I get the opportunity to have kids (I'm 34...it's something I think about).

I know another 2+2'er whom I have communicated with via PM who has 4 kids including a new-born.
Once got a PM from him at 4am while he was playing and his baby was sleeping in his lap...thus making it a little difficult for him to type but he says that his lap is one of the only places his kid sleeps.

I'm not naming him because I don't know if he wants details of his personal life being shared (he doesn't post too much anyway)....but it seems he has a fairly 'normal' stay-at-Dad type of life with his wife and kids.

I think the new-born factored into his decision to go back to ring-games from SNG's for his income (so that he can be free on a moment's notice if necessary).

But also read all of the David Ross journal posts. That's some really good stuff.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:47 PM

Me.

I do it.

I send my daughter to a babysitter for 5 hours in the afternoon and evening, and then I play for another 3-5 hours after she goes to sleep.

I've been doing it for over 3 months and it is working pretty well. The pressure of having to win to keep the whole thing going gets to be alot some days, but the time I get to spend with her makes it worthwhile. If I went broke today, I wouldn't have any regrets.

My story can be found here.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:03 PM

I have my 2 kids 4 1/2 months a year. A month for Christmas, a month for Easter and the rest in the summer. Its actually quite nice playing for a living. We went to the zoo today and go to the park or the pool 2-3 days a week. I have a couple little vacations planned for the summer. I plan all the events during the week so there isn't as many crowds. I can spend the day with the kids and still get my 20 - 25 hours of play in every week. It does help that my girlfriend watches them in the morning because I go to the gym Mon - Fri.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:33 PM

I have a "real" job, but there are days and even weeks when i get off and watch my kid while playing poker. it can be done, but it isnt very easy. When they are very young they sleep alot which is good, but they dont konw when you are in a big hand or a big tournament, so always be prepared to stop playing at any time.

When they get older and start running around the house you will need a laptop to take with you from room to room. At least that is how i do it.

Personally, if i was confident that i could make as good a living playing poker as i do with my current job i would have loved to stay home with my kid and play poker.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:44 PM

seeing buster's face and "I won't be a dad for another month" makes me giggle. ohhhh lucille 2...
Old 06-27-2005, 02:53 PM

My daughter is almost four.

I have not had a regular job since Sept. 2002, although I did have income until Dec. 2003 from a consulting job.

I've been playing mostly full-time since Dec. 2003.

I don't see this changing in the near future.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 03:26 PM

I'd advise playing ring games and not tournaments. You never know when you'll have to suddenly stop for this reason or that reason. I have 3 kids, and believe me, they always want something, especially while sitting around the house.