Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: 2: Momentum following winning an all-in

[ QUOTE ]
winning an all in preflop, without seeing a flop, does not make people more likely to fold to your next raise on the next hand.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

So I agree with your statement but it is not the same as what I said.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Beware of too many lessons

As somebody who spends as much time teaching poker as playing it, I would caution you about your goal of learning 200 lessons.

2 lessons, well applied, are more likely to have a positive impact on your game than the mental quagmire created by attempting to assimilate 200 lessons.

Also, there are not 200 worthwhile lessons to be learned. I would say that a perfect, non-exploitable strategy for SNG poker could be described in 10 well-written sentences.

Irieguy
Old 01-10-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Beware of too many lessons

Quagmire. First Vietnam, then Iraq, now this.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: 200 from 200 then 200 at 200

Why not just steadily move up the levels from $33-$55-$109-$215 and do a bit of advance scouting for the next level up. You will learn while playing and figure out the playing styles. I just don't why you feel you need to jump from $33 to $215.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to write down 200 lessons I learn from watching $200 SNGs. Then I'm going to play 200 of them. I am currently playing the $30's.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have found that articles written about what not to do are much more important than articles about what to do. if poker profit comes from your opponents mistakes, it stands to reason that by eliminating your own mistakes, you eliminate your opponents profit. I think it would be very helpful if you chose to focus on common mistakes that not only you but many of your opponents make.

thanks
johnny
Old 01-10-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Beware of too many lessons

[ QUOTE ]
I would caution you about your goal of learning 200 lessons. 2 lessons, well applied, are more likely to have a positive impact on your game than the mental quagmire created by attempting to assimilate 200 lessons.

Also, there are not 200 worthwhile lessons to be learned. I would say that a perfect, non-exploitable strategy for SNG poker could be described in 10 well-written sentences.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, thanks for your comment. Let me explain a little better about why I am doing this.

First I believe poker is an art, but also that good play is based on a small number of principles. The only way to really learn the principles is to practice by playing, but also by watching. The 200 lessons are not the principles, but illustrations of the principles.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just steadily move up the levels from $33-$55-$109-$215 and do a bit of advance scouting for the next level up. You will learn while playing and figure out the playing styles. I just don't why you feel you need to jump from $33 to $215.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the bankroll for the $215 but not the confidence. I think after this study I will be confident enough to play. I want to see where I stand. After the 200 SNGs, I will decide what to play next. I am sure after it's over I will be a better player. I am also sure I will learn faster this way than continuing my grind which started in April '04. I will be paying for an accelerated education.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i have found that articles written about what not to do are much more important than articles about what to do. if poker profit comes from your opponents mistakes, it stands to reason that by eliminating your own mistakes, you eliminate your opponents profit. I think it would be very helpful if you chose to focus on common mistakes that not only you but many of your opponents make.

thanks
johnny

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I think in Lesson 1 the mistake was the guy changed his mind about how he wanted to play mid-hand. If he wanted to play AJos agressively on Level 2 he should have raised. He limps in and gets top pair. He played the flop passively too since the absolute value of his raise was not enough to knock anyone out that had anything. So obviously the other guy has something when he calls the raise. Then all the sudden Mr. AJos decides to be super aggressive, with TPTK, on Level 2. If he wanted to play it this way then he should have raised it to begin with.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because with 2 to 1 pot odds, any rag hand has 1/3 of a chance to win the pot (depending on the other hand, but the few times it's down more than that is made up for the other vast majority of the time that it isn't down near that much).

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, pot odds don't affect the chance that a hand will win.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:13 AM

Default 4: Bending over not advised

Level 2, ten players, stacks all ~T1000.
UTG raises to 90.
MP calls. Rest of the table folds.

Flop: T T 6

UTG bets half the pot, MP min raises, UTG calls.

Turn: Q

UTG checks, MP checks.

River: 8

UTG check, MP bets half the pot, UTG calls.

UTG turns over K K but
MP wins with 8 8.

I think the paired T's on the flop scared UTG, but he
didn't want to fold those kings. He said, well, I'll just
try and stay in this hand. In the end, he let one too many cards come out.

I'll bet MP thought he had the best hand all the way through. He may have called if UTG pushed on the flop. But definitely, after not betting the turn, UTG should have folded the river. He wasn't trying for a check raise otherwise he would have done so on the river.