Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 02:04 PM

Default KK faces an Ace on the flop

Was unsure what the correct play was in this situation.

Been at the table for a short while. My only read on EP is that he seems better than the average Party player, but still will call with stuff like KTo, 78s, etc. from any position. He and two others at the table think I am a LAG and have been chatting about it.

Party $.50/1 10 handed.
I am dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in late MP.

2 folds, EP calls, 2 folds, I raise, 3 folds, BB calls, EP calls.

3 to the flop for 6.5 SBs.
Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
BB checks, EP bets, I raise, BB folds, EP calls.

2 to the turn for 5.25 BBs.
Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
EP bets, I ....???

I figure there's two possible plays here. Either I fold now and give him credit for an Ace or something that beats me. Or I call down turn and river.

How would you play it from here?

EditThe turn card was 7 not 3)
Old 12-08-2004, 02:17 PM

Default Re: KK faces an Ace on the flop

With a raise pre-flop I usually call it down. But my advice is probably worth what it costs. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 02:21 PM

It's gonna cost you 3 BB with your line to see a showdown and win a pot of 9.25 BB.

With EP betting into you on the flop and calling and leading the turn, I don't think you're ahead here and I may just chuck it.

The flop raise is right, but he's either got an A, 2 pair, or JT here more than enough to make a calldown -EV in my estimation.

-d
Old 12-08-2004, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was unsure what the correct play was in this situation.

Been at the table for a short while. My only read on EP is that he seems better than the average Party player, but still will call with stuff like KTo, 78s, etc. from any position. He and two others at the table think I am a LAG and have been chatting about it.

Party $.50/1 10 handed.
I am dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in late MP.

2 folds, EP calls, 2 folds, I raise, 3 folds, BB calls, EP calls.

3 to the flop for 6.5 SBs.
Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
BB checks, EP bets, I raise, BB folds, EP calls.

2 to the turn for 5.25 BBs.
Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
EP bets, I ....???

I figure there's two possible plays here. Either I fold now and give him credit for an Ace or something that beats me. Or I call down turn and river.

How would you play it from here?

EditThe turn card was 7 not 3)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a LAG? I assume you got a bunch of good hands early in the session and were rasing a lot preflop. This happens to me all the time and I worry about my table image. No one has ever said anything except, "what's with all the raising?" or some such weak minded nonsense.

If they were talking about you being LAG what did you say? What did you think their likely strategy to beat a LAG would be? I would supsect they would check call if they had a good hand knowing you're going to raise with anything. Them betting makes me they might be bluffing and trying to push you back. Therefore since you are "the lag" you can't really have any idea what the other guy has.

You need to flip a coin between call down and folding the turn. I call down because the pots big enough to spend 2BB to find out if MHIG.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:48 PM

No, I'm definitely not a LAG, but in my first 10-15 hands at this table I was getting some good cards so I raised preflop around 50% of the time.

I didn't respond to their talk about me being LAG. I had three other tables going so I was just reading.

[ QUOTE ]
I would supsect they would check call if they had a good hand knowing you're going to raise with anything. Them betting makes me they might be bluffing and trying to push you back.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about this at the time, but wasn't sure how it helped. If they had a huge hand I figured I'd be checkraised. If they had a marginal hand they might play it like they did or just checkcall. But how marginal of a hand would they bet-call, I don't know. I was thinking something like ATo.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:58 PM

i hate answers like the one im about to give, but unless you think theres a 73% chance he has an ace you call down to the river. that in my book makes it a pretty close decison.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:04 PM

or two pair.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:12 PM

This is 0.5/1. Betting out on the flop and calling a raise, and then betting out on the turn, means an ace or two pair. Don't fall in love with your KK and convince yourself he's bluffing - you have two outs 95% of the time here.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is 0.5/1. Betting out on the flop and calling a raise, and then betting out on the turn, means an ace or two pair. Don't fall in love with your KK and convince yourself he's bluffing - you have two outs 95% of the time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with this. Looking at my .5/1 play at party I noticed one of my bigger leaks was calling down heads up when shown aggression like this (unless I have a read on the player)