Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Embarrassing Bellagio trip report ($10-$20 NL) 5 hands to discuss

especially if you've made him believe you will go to the felt with top pair top kicker
Old 12-20-2005, 07:10 AM

does anyone else hate the raise o n the AT5r flop? What good reason is there really to raise that?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone else hate the raise o n the AT5r flop? What good reason is there really to raise that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing. What do you think is the best line here?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to raise there in order to let villain easier outplay you later.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sitting out instead of being afraid of acting weak-tight. Once you dont do that; chk/fld flop. If you dont wanna do that; chk/call flop.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:50 AM

I think a c/r defines heros hand pretty clearly and lets the villain play even more optimally against it, as he did in this spot.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sitting out instead of being afraid of acting weak-tight. Once you dont do that; chk/fld flop. If you dont wanna do that; chk/call flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero can't check/fold in Hand 3 because he has position. If you are suggesting that he should have folded with top pair and position to Villain's initial bet on the flop, I strongly disagree. The proper play here is to call.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:32 AM

I think that the 7K kid played hands 2, 3 and 5 very well, and knew almost exactly what you held in each hand.

Calling the turn raise is probably better in Hand 2, because of the possibility that Villain will make top 2 if an A or some such card hits on the river. It also increases the odds that he will "value bet" a 3 on the river. If he has a boat, you are get plenty of money in no matter how you play it.

Those who play a lot shorthanded would recognize your flop raise in Hand 3 as weakness, not strength. It fairly well screams, "I have a crappy ace and I really want to be able to check behind on the turn." He recognized that and rightly put you to the test. Calling (which is scarier to him than a raise) is by far the proper play here. Plus, he may try and value bet the river with a middle pair if the turn goes check-check, which it often will.

In Hand 5, the previous action (i.e. Hand 3) makes it more likely that Villain has a hand here, not less likely. I have absolutely no idea why you concluded that Villain didn't have a 4 based on his preflop play. With position, stacks this deep, and your prior history with Villain, I believe that Villain could literally have any two cards here.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:27 PM

Nice Post.

A problem with the A 9 and A K hands is that they are hands that you normally don't want to play huge pots with.

With the A 9 hand, you want to keep the pot small. So just call on the flop. Also, his raise change from 60 to 80 you mentioned was very important. It turned out that he upped his raise because he had a premium hand. Anyways, by just calling, you keep the pot small with the A 9. Then you can evaluate on the next card what to do. I would maybe call another bet on the turn if it wasn't too big, but if he checks, I'd check behind. If he bets all 3 streets (not likely without you beat), I would fold to a big river bet. After you raised and were reraised, I think that you made a good fold. A 9 is not a hand to get a lot of chips in with normally.

After he has shown you the Kings as a bluff, he's probably a lot less likely to be making any big bluffs vs. you. for the rest of the night if he's a very good player. He might bluff small, but not likely with a lot of chips, becuase he expects you to call after he showed you a bluff.

As for the Ace King hand, it doesn't normally play well for a lot of chips if you only flop a pair with it (unless you are against someone who plays bad). I would have probably put him on a four in that hand and folded to the reraise. One pair isn't normally a hand to get your stack in with deepstacked in no limit against a good player.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:07 AM

this is such a genius joke post

very funny sir

reentitle "5 hands played perfectly" and i maybe piss myself