Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Re: AK in a tough spot

The obvious answer is to cap. Given that you are one of the most aggro folks in ML (and that's saying a lot), I figure you'd cap without a second thought--maybe not a first.

So why didn't you cap?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:15 PM

If this is a response to me (which I don't think it is), I am a big fat wus.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The obvious answer is to cap. Given that you are one of the most aggro folks in ML (and that's saying a lot), I figure you'd cap without a second thought--maybe not a first.

So why didn't you cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. How do you know I didn't cap?

ajm has actually summed up my thinking on this hand the best so far. Two things factored for me:

First, this guy was NOT a rock. His VPIP was around the same as mine, and, yeah, it's a small sample, but he hasn't found a single opportunity to raise preflop? No isolations, no steals, nothing? So, I don't buy the argument that he's isolating to try and lift 2.5BB off UTG, and at the same time I skew his pfr range higher, call it QQ-AA, AKs, AKo. (Also, since he's a passive, if I DO hit the flop my implieds are for [censored].)

Second, UTG does factor into the equation, because he's got two cards, and he's not going away. AK has at worst about 50% against any ONE opponent that's not holding AA or KK. TWO opponents drives that down; and, again, if I do hit my implieds are for [censored].

My first thought was "cappucino" (literally), but I considered it before I hit the button. And I folded. And I think I was right, although I'm too tired to put any math to it, and I think it's REALLY close (so close that AKs would have been a cap without a second thought). But, basically, a large portion of his range is going to put me in the position of winning the least with the best hand and losing the most with the second best hand if I hit on the flop, and folding if I don't.

So, anyway, here's the whole hand, as I'm sure you're all dying to see it:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, UTG calls $0.13 (All-In).

Turn: (6.31 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (6.31 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: 6.31 BB

UTG flips T9o.
MP2 flips KK.

Oh, and for those of you that are going to say I'm being results-oriented, I don't think I am. My thought process was exactly as I've outlined it (I actually ran the timer down to about 3 seconds before I folded), and I stand by it.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you posted this thread. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2005, 11:59 PM

Also, for what its worth SSHE recommends a fold in this situation. Hilger's book recommends a cap, interestingly enough.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny...I almost did cap, and then I almost didn't post the hand. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny...I almost did cap, and then I almost didn't post the hand. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny....I was going to ask if you would have posted the hand if you had played it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 03:02 AM

Funny... wait wh
Old 12-16-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny....I was going to ask if you would have posted the hand if you had played it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I would have posted the hand, regardless. It's interesting, IMO, and those are the kinds of hands I try to post.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:02 PM

I completely agree with your thought process, Boz, it's what I was thinking when you posted your read on the 3bettor. He just doesn't seem the type to isolate.

One discussion point, you mention, as do others that AKs would seem an easy cap. I have generally agreed, but in reviewing my last 5,000 hands or so, I'm a bigger winner with AKo than I am with AKs. Small sample, and could easily just be variance. But I've wondered a bit whether or not I have been overvaluing the suitedness of the hand; pushing a bit harder than I should since it is soooted. Do you guys really think AKs makes up the difference between raise and fold here? Are there any numbers to support that? I'm just interested in your arguments.