Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-09-2005, 09:11 AM

Default Observations from my overnight in AC

Just got back from an overnight trip to AC for a convention (if you are from the IRS or my wife - yes I went to some convention stuff too) and got in a bunch of hours at the tables. Thought I'd offer some observations on what I saw.

Ballys: Dealers were pretty bad. Had one dealer where the players had to tell him who should post and what the winning hand was. Nice room, nice chairs and the management staff was very nice and friendly. Played some 1/2 NL, games were pretty passive with no large pots. Won about $20.

Played in the 6 PM 60+15 tournament. The players at my table were pretty good with one young woman being very good. She was both attractive and an excellent player - pulled off a great bluff with a 73. (I suspect you may be reading this) Too bad she got moved to another table and busted out before we could talk. (Yeah right I'm sure she is into 48 year old pudgy guys)

Average quality players. Don't have antes. I made the final table but busted out on the bubble (so I guess live is the same as playing on the computer).

Stayed in Bally's. Nice room, food was just OK and the room cost about $100.

Showboat: Played in the 11 AM 40+15 tournament. Very nice room, great chairs, good dealers. No antes.

They were running the WSOP event so after I busted out (How could you river that flush to beat my Aces) I went to watch the pros. It was early in the second day so I expected to see a big room with lots of players. Big disappointment. It was about 1 PM and they were down to 6 or 7 tables. There were about 20 people standing around watching. Saw Greg Raymer so walked over to watch his table. Felt sorry for some guy who was sitting in between Greg and John Juanda (I would have needed rubber pants). After a few hands Greg raised, the guy sitting next to him re-raised, Greg pushed and the guy (had him covered) thought for a while and called. Greg went out with A6 vs AK. Greg looked like he has lost a few pounds - keep it up Greg and better luck next time.

Caesars: Nice room and the best dealers and staff I came across. Played some 1/2 NL won a few bucks. One regular I was sitting with commented about a player at the other end of the table, said they called him "Johnny Chan" and he was always good for a grand a day. Yeah sure. Twice I saw "Chan's" stack drop down and he would always rebuy for an additional $100 or $200 (because he was a regular the dealers would always sell him chips without regards to the size of his stack). When I left he had a stack of about $400 but was really in the hole for about $200, I guess image is some peoples reality.

Played in their 3 PM 80+15 tournament. About 40 - 50 players. Antes and the blinds climb pretty fast. At my table there was a guy decked out in the entire WPT wanna be line of clothing, he had sunglasses, baseball hat, headphones and topped everything with a hooded sweatshit he wore unabomber style. One dealer would say things like "unabomber in the big blind" or "unabomber raises to 400". Once we got to talking he was a pretty nice kid and a ok player.

Caesars is hosting a WSOP event in early 2006 and they are having a freeroll for the main event and some of the smaller buyin events. Each time you play in one of their tournaments you get points and the top 100 point holders get to play in a shootout for a $10,000 seat and some $1,000 seats. Nice deal.

Glad I got in some live poker - this was my third time playing in a B&M. Live is fun - I should play more but the 2 hour drive to AC is a little too far.

Next trip is the securitization conference in Vegas at the end of January. If you will be there PM me and we can get together - I'm going as a spouse so it will be 4 days of just poker.