Omaha High, $2 BB (7 handed) converter

CO ($265.65)
Button ($77.75)
Hero ($238)
BB ($206.40)
UTG ($114.30)
MP1 ($106)
MP2 ($117)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, MP1 calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $4, Hero calls $3, BB calls $2, UTG calls $2, MP1 calls $2.

Flop: ($24) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $22.8</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls $22.80, MP2 calls $22.80, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero???
Old 12-06-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: A542ds hand OOP

I don't know about other people, but I don't like playing this type of hand OOP, even with the suited Ace. This is mostly because the number of nut outs that you can have is seriously diminished. In this case, you have only 6 nut outs. There are a lot more cards that could win it for you, but every one of them would make me a bit nervous.

Calling sucks here. You either have to fold or pot it to buy yourself more outs. I am only potting here if I can be reasonably confident that I can get it heads up against a set. If not, I fold and then go kick my dog when the 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hits on the turn.

So, in general, I fold pre-flop to the raise and post-flop due to all of the interest. From the button, it is a whole different story.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:11 AM

Your hand is not as good as it looks. You have 6 nut outs, only one of them makes you bulletproof. Most of your non-nut outs are no good I suspect. I don't think a c/r provides any fold equity. The stack sizes of 2 of your opponents are limiting your implied odds, so you shouldn't call for one card. I would fold.

I might lead at that flop occasionally, however, if my image was real strong. By you leading at this if they call the first bet you may shake better flush draws off on the turn, and get yourself heads up with all the outs. If you bet the right amounts on the turn and river you can get a lot of folds if the board doesn't connect or pairs. If you get raised on the flop, however, and it looks like a multiway all-in, its an EV disaster and you should fold. If you can get heads up all in though its probably OK. If you were deeper than this though I would not advocate this approach.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:15 PM

The only way I would continue to play this hand is if I thought a raise would get me heads up against a made hand like two pair or a set. If there is a reasonable chance of doing that, I repot. If not, I fold.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:19 PM

Dont make this call w/o nut diamonds, IMO.

You have a striaght draw, and that is all.

Dont count your flush outs when making this decision.

Tex
Old 12-06-2005, 08:21 PM

As you might have guessed, I pushed this hand, which ended up 3-way against a wrap and a gutshot baby flush draw. My equity ended up being only 10%. Yuck! Heads-up

I'm folding this sort of double-suited trash from now on.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:30 AM

Well it isn't really double suited trash since you have a suited ace. But it is a hand that rates to make you play a drawing hand only out of position, which is its problem. As far as your equity on a drawing board goes, the 8 on the flop severely hurts your straight chances since a card that makes you can make someone else a better hand. Plus you need to discount your equity quite a bit by more players being in a pot, which makes your flush likely not good. A non-nut flush draw picked up on the turn is often much better.

There is also a critical factor in this type of hand even in position in an unraised pot. And that is that it contains only wheel cards. So unless a wheel is the best straight on a certain board, you will frequently make a second best straight, without the split possibility you would have in hi/lo. So with these type of hands you want a 6 or 7 in them so that someone else can make a second best straight.