Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-28-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Do you think this is a bluff?

The more I think about it the more I prefer calling to going allin. Bet the turn if he checks though.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:52 PM

I guess my question is this: If he had an ace, wouldn't he have played this differently? If he had AK/AQ, wouldn't he have played this more aggressively preflop? If he had a weaker ace, wouldn't he either check or push this flop? This bet just seems so strange.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:59 PM

I don't see this as a preflop push, unless I've already entered push/fold mode. If that's the case, then I continue pushing with 10BB or less on the basis that my opponents will likely open up their calling standards. I would have raised to 375-400.

With no read, the preflop calling range at the $22s is something like 77-AA, AK-AT, KQ, and possibly some more suited broadways depending on the opponent. Obviously the hands involving aces or kings are less likely considering we can account for two of each.

Is it a bluff? Probably not. I imagine it's some sort of made hand. However, we're ahead of all the made hands not involving and A or TT, so I'm not getting away from this hand on the flop without a read. Especially when you consider that most players will check trips on this flop.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:12 PM

Alright, here's my take on the hand and the thread in general.

- You can not fold; he doesn't play an ace like this very often... why would he?
- Bluefeet said he wouldn't call your flop push with anything other than an A... I disagree strongly. I think a T calls you 95% of the time and PP's call a bunch too.
- I don't like pushing pf at all because I think a smaller raise extracts so much more value.
- I think calling the flop is superior to pushing it, but not by too much. He's drawing to 2 outs or has you killed (which I think is very rare, to reiterate) so why not call the flop and check a safe turn because it'll be almost impossible for him to fold anything by the river?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The more I think about it the more I prefer calling to going allin. Bet the turn if he checks though.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do if you call the flop bet, and villain pushes the turn with his remaining t450ish?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:18 PM

this hand should be amazingly standard.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do if you call the flop bet, and villain pushes the turn with his remaining t450ish?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't seriously be thinking about folding?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:31 PM

sure you can think about folding. Your Kings may be... in a bad way. What if he is playing A/K or A/Q suited.

I guess it comes down to... Is this the hand you want to make or break your stack with...
What do you think?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:31 PM

No its surely not a bluff. Betting into the preflop raiser on that flop is suicide unless you have some of it.

Whether he has u beat or not is another question which is dependent on any reads u have.

I think he is asking the same question you are asking. "Do you have an Ace ?".

Call is a better option as u will only have your push called by a hand like Ax or TT.

If he checks the turn then your push/bet should take the pot down
Old 11-28-2005, 02:33 PM

i don't think it's a bluff. i think that you are ahead of his range though.

c