Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Flop a set, in huge pot, but might be behind!

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (20 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB (All-In) raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

River: (17.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 21.25 BB

The reraise with 99 preflop is a tad frisky, but his was a somewhat loose aggressive table, so I didn't give UTG's raise much credit. However, when we go to the flop capped with 5 players, I figure I'm playing for set value.

Calling the flop seems a bit weak, but I considered this one of those circumstances where the turn would dramatically change my equity. If a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8, Q, K, or even an A comes, I could be looking at a made flush, straight, or higher set.
For all I know, I'm already looking at a higher set and drawing to one out.

So I call the flop, waiting for the turn to see if I should raise/ fold then. Instead, I chicken out and just call again. I'm scared because SB has done nothing but bet this whole time. But this was probably a mistake--I should raise and make AK or KK pay off my set.

River is fairly easy.

Thoughts?
Old 11-27-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Flop a set, in huge pot, but might be behind!

Postflop: Raise the flop. If not, then raise the turn. You flopped what you were looking for. If you want to wait for a safe card, you got it on the turn. I don't think now is the time to worry about a higher set. And it doesn't appear based on the action that anyone has KQ (I think we'd see a raise on the flop with that board). Quick question: The hand history says "BB (all-in) raises" on the turn. But then he bets the river?
Old 11-27-2005, 02:28 PM

I'm not sure about the flop but I think I'm raising here to see who will come with me so I can see who is on a draw or has a big pair.

The turn is about the safest card you could hope for. If you were ahead on the flop you are still ahead here, raise.

River is fine.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:28 PM

I probably raise the flop here for value, you have a monster hand and have huge huge pot equity already. One arguement for smoothcalling is that it allows you to 3 bet if MP3 raises, or allows you to raise the turn to protect if MP3 has AK or KK. But I think I still raise.

As played I think you really need to 3 bet the turn. You might be behind but the pot is 4 handed so you're getting a huge overlay from all the other players that are likely drawing really thin or dead.