Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Stars 2/4--TPTK against likely draw

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, but, yeah, I would have b/c'd the river in the first place, but you don't want to hear that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure we're good very often here vs. a river raise. I guess it depends on whether or not the villain knows that OP is also a 2+2er. I just don't see a river raise as a bluff or less than TPTK very often - at least not the 8% or so it needs to be.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:48 PM

Okay, it looks like nobody's folding to Villain's raise at the end, and some are even c/r'ing it. So I feel better.

Here's the real story: Villain and Hero are switched. I was the idiot who open-limped in the CO. Why? Because I misclicked. I meant to fold my K2s, but accidentally hit call instead. Maybe I should have folded when BB raised, but I felt I had the odds to see the flop.

When the K hits on the flop, I feel pretty good. Sure, villain could have me dominated with AK, KQ, etc., but he could have also raised with AQ, AJ, QQ, JJ, or even worse against two weak limpers and the SB.

His flop bet is standard continuation bet, so I raise. When he three bets, I figure I'm toast, but decide to call down since:

1) He might still have QQ or JJ and be playing it aggressivley.
2) I might pair my kicker.
3) I really can't fold for one more bet on the flop with TP.

This was probably my biggest mistake in the hand (beside the misclick). I should have folded to the 3-bet, I think.

So I just call the turn.

Then, when the river puts 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]s and some more straight possibilities on the board, and villain checks to me, I contemplate a bluff. My play sort of looked like I was playing a draw that might have gotten there on the river, and it's a major coup if I can get BB to fold the best hand here. I only need to succeed like 1/10 for it to be +EV (also adding in the handful of times where MHIG). But I decided to just check it through.

And the real villain in this hand, BB, did have solid, 2+2 type numbers. Seeing how none of you guys are folding to my river bluff, I think I made the right play (finally) on the river.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:48 PM

Maybe, but what hands could villain have played remotely well in this case? I mean, that open limp in the CO negates any calls for saying he played it perfectly, but what hands could he conceivably open limp and then play this way postflop (raising our river bet)? It's weird enough that, in my estimation, the chance that villain is drunk and donking around are significant compared to the chance that he has us beat. I definitely make that call.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:50 PM

whiz - fold the turn

and this hand is more interesting postflop from your perspective.

also, take out the final pot size next time [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

River: (8.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Villain bets, Hero ???

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 11-23-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
next time you change stuff around, make it so that the "solid 2+2er" doesn't open limp in the cutoff like a retard.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's the real story: Villain and Hero are switched.

[/ QUOTE ]
So owned. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And yeah, no one's folding to your bluff unless you raise (some would) or if it's C/R and you 3-bet. (I think everyone would fold that.)

I think you can fold the turn, though. You're in bad shape here with TP and crappy kicker after villain 3-bet the flop.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:57 PM

You had odds on the flop to draw to a 3 outer. Fold the turn.

Edit: And did BB seriously fold the river to your bet? I can't see how he'd fold AK here.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:00 PM

no, our misclicking hero checked through on the river. how would we know villain's hand, bro?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no, our misclicking hero checked through on the river. how would we know villain's hand, bro?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. I missed that part of his post. However, it might have been that the bluff worked and then OP just put BB on some arbitrary hand. I've seen weirder posted here.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
next time you change stuff around, make it so that the "solid 2+2er" doesn't open limp in the cutoff like a retard.

also, bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

rack