Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Joseph Hachem...Your Opinion New World Champion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That Q7 move in was terrible. He was only going to get called by a better hand, which is what happened.

I don't understand how he could put his tournament life on the line with a predetermined play like that. He didn't even have a read on the other player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite the contrary, Aaron Kanter had been raising very frequently when it got short-handed and Hachem limped from the button (very suspicious). Kanter folds a majority of his hands there and Hachem is only crushed if hes called by AA/KK/QQ/AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying that it looks suspicious when Hachem limped, yet Kanter raises him. Doesn't look very scared to me. Still, Hachem decides to use a predetermined play to try and push him off, but again, he'll only be called by a better hand.

Remember, Hachem is putting his tournament life on the line. It's not smart. I don't see how you can justify putting all your money in when you'll only be called if you're an underdog. Just because he won't be "crushed" doesn't make it any less of a bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously he'll only be called by a better hand. The idea was that he thought Kanter was very likely to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

And he thought this without any sort of read whatsoever? Just one bad mistake can cost him the tournament.

Do most pros actually do that? Move in when frustrated by an aggressive player, hoping that he is bluffing?
Old 11-20-2005, 04:06 PM

Yes it's called a resteal. Waiting for aces shorthanded when a player is raising nearly every pot is a poor strategy. Too bad for Hachem, Kanter had a decent hand but it was only something like 2-1. Hachem's only crushed by like 5 hands Kanter can call with and there's no reason to believe he has to have one of those.

NH Hachem. Pass the suga.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And he thought this without any sort of read whatsoever? Just one bad mistake can cost him the tournament.

Do most pros actually do that? Move in when frustrated by an aggressive player, hoping that he is bluffing?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are assuming quite alot. Who said he didnt'ahve a read? Who said he was merely frustrated? Who said that he was hopeing kanter was bluffing?

From the little we were shown, it seemed like kanter was making moves with damn near any two cards, especially any face card. A move like Hachems will obviously get called by only a better hand, but it will also push better hands off.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:07 PM

Hatchem explained his logic behind this move in his chat btw.

To say he didn't have a read is to really understand what a "read" is. It's not just "he twitched his eye, he's got crap". It's "I understand how he plays here and what he will raise here and I think I can fold a very large % of hands with which he'll raise in this spot".
Old 11-20-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not smart. I don't see how you can justify putting all your money in when you'll only be called if you're an underdog. Just because he won't be "crushed" doesn't make it any less of a bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. Hell only be called by hands that have him beat. But the % of the time he thinks Kanter will fold out weighs the times he calls with a monster and busts him. I play sng's and in tournament play you have to push CRAP to be a longterm winner. You cant say he didnt have reads. They have been playing poker for like a week and Im sure hes seen him play a little bit to know what type of player he is.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also would rather have a Japanese or Spanish speaker win if a foreigner is going to win, but having a foreigner win is all good in any case.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a predjudice agains Lebanese-speaking people?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:34 PM

I didnt really see him do much out of line from what they showed on TV. I think he will be a good champ.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He appears to be a class person as well as being personable.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this bit.... the rest was a bit overboard.

awesome guy (i go to his old poker room and am mates with one of his regular patients so ive heard from a fair few people) but i wouldnt say he is anywhere near being one of the top poker players in the world. i would say the vast majority of the best players right now havent taken down the wsop main event yet
Old 11-20-2005, 11:54 PM

From what i hear around here he sounds like a good upstanding member of the poker community.

If there is one issue i can say its that thing about him stiffing the dealers. Not that i personally care, but surely he must have figured that he became an instant celebrity, with a microscope on him as far as poker is concerned.

EDIT:

To be clear, he didn't "stiff" the dealers. He just didn't tip anything on top of what was already withheld from the prize pool for dealer tips. To suggest that he did stiff them is missing the point of the earlier threads on this issue - Dids

even if he didnt "like' to tip or felt he was not obligated too, i think it would have been in his better interest to leave something, and keep his image pristine and charismatic.

Just that one little thing (basically the very first decision he made after winning 7.5 million and WSOP title) might give some people a negativew first impression.

Not biggie as far as im concerned, but for the sake of the public spotlight, i would have tipped cuz others might feel stronger about it.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If there is one issue i can say its that thing about him stiffing the dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]
And that's going to be something he's remembered for, for a long, long time. No matter what he might have done later, after the spotlights and the mics were turned off. Too bad he didn't use better judgement.

To be clear, he didn't "stiff" the dealers. He just didn't tip anything on top of what was already withheld from the prize pool for dealer tips. To suggest that he did stiff them is missing the point of the earlier threads on this issue - Dids (yes, I'm putting this in every post that repeats this idea)

Then again, no telling what I'd have done. I'd like to think my habit of toking dealers and trying to be nice to all the room's staff would have kicked in, but I can't say since it wasn't me winning that monster stack of Franklins.

<ul type="square"> [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img][/list]
Maybe I should look at the bright side. I don't have to worry about it!

<ul type="square"> [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img][/list]
And that's a good thing?

<ul type="square"> [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img][/list]