Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 01:08 AM

Default A-J agianst Mr.Donk

Villian is 34/7.7/1.6 My notes for him are " Bet OOP into A high flop, after my 3 bet preflop, he bet whole way with 99.
My first throught on the flop was pair of 7's when he bet out. Whats your line here? Also is preflop ok?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: A-J agianst Mr.Donk

Preflop is standard.

Calldown seems right here. There's enough hands he would do this with that you beat. But 3-betting would be spewing.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:12 AM

Preflop is pretty standard IMO. From the turn I'll pay this guy off because I know he's tricky and inappropriately aggressive.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:15 AM

usually 3-bet. you're up against worse jacks and underpairs a lot. if you really think he has trips a lot or might run a stone bluff, call down. don't fold.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
usually 3-bet. you're up against worse jacks and underpairs a lot. if you really think he has trips a lot or might run a stone bluff, call down. don't fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

3-betting here just opens us up for more aggression from a real hand and shuts down a complete bluff on the pair card. More often the former than the latter IMO.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:20 AM

if thats your opinion, that this is a bluff, then you call down. 3-betting also 'opens you up' to earning an extra big bet from 2nd best hands that wont fold. you need to decide which is more likely and act accordingly.

and when you start getting aggressive on the turn with stuff like AJ here, people notice. you won't be bluffed-raised nearly as much, and certainly not by this player. aggression is good.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:28 AM

For some reason I was pretty sure he had a 7 on the flop. When the 7 came on the turn i cringed, I really wanted to check, but thought that would be too weak.

Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Villian shows 7-6 for the win

About 10 hands later, he did the exact same thing after i had raised preflop. This time he had no draw and one overcard. So I guess I do have to be careful with backing down too soon when that scare card hits.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:34 AM

I think the 3 bet, is horrible play in general. I cant see it being likely that im ahead more than 1/4 of the times to this c/r. I raised preflop, riased the flop. How often is someone bluffing, or raising with j-k? Not nearly enough to merit a 3 bet, and when he caps im really going to be unhappy but forced to call down. The only way i'm 3 betting here is if his vpip and aggression were really up there and I had already seen a few bluffs.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:38 AM

I would fold..

You can probably call but if he bets into you on river I would let it go.

J74 rainbow. He donks you on the flop with his pair of 7's trying to get you to fold. Typical donkey play.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the 3 bet, is horrible play in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

then you are very likely too passive. these raises are top pair or worse a ton, even at loose-passiveish 2/4. if you put your opponent on a better hand 75% of the time when an undercard pairs and you're raised, you're either missing something or have a good read on your opponent.

[ QUOTE ]
and when he caps im really going to be unhappy but forced to call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

not true.