Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: I can\'t believe I have German Measles

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isnt this something that gets vaccinated against?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly sure I got some form of vaccination (is it this circular thing with lots of tiny needles that leaves a mark on your arm for a couple of years afterwards?) as a child but obviously I can't remember exactly what it was for since I was quite little. A bunch of people from the health department go round to schools and hand out these shots, and I assume that Rubella (the virus that causes German Measles) is on their list but who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that when I was in the Army, they lined us up every few years and hit us up with our MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) booster. Do they not do that to civilians?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I got this as a kid, twice I think (once as a booster), but I know I haven't had it, or even heard it mentioned, by the doctor now.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isnt this something that gets vaccinated against?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly sure I got some form of vaccination (is it this circular thing with lots of tiny needles that leaves a mark on your arm for a couple of years afterwards?) as a child but obviously I can't remember exactly what it was for since I was quite little. A bunch of people from the health department go round to schools and hand out these shots, and I assume that Rubella (the virus that causes German Measles) is on their list but who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

The mark on your upper left arm (if its still there) is from the smallpox vaccine. Most people over 35 have one. I think it became optional for anyone born after 1970 or so.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:27 PM

I had chicken pox when I was 22. It f'ing sucked. My feet were so swollen I couldn't walk. My eyes,ears and nose were swollen shut. I had to breath out of my mouth for 3 weeks straight. Every 2 hours, I had to breath into this tube to see if my throat was swelling shut. Twice I had to go to the emergency room because my throat was starting to swell up. They had to put a tube in my throat to keep it open. I had them on the inside of my lungs and was coughing up scabs for 2 months. If you've never had them and you are an adult, pray that you never get them!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not in South Africa, and I'd be surprised if they did that anywhere else. I think that the idea is that you get the choice of whether you want to go for a vaccination as an adult or not, no-one's gonna force it on you. I suppose I could have gone, but who goes around worrying about contracting something silly like German Measles? Besides hypochondriacs, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont worry about it, but my wife says "time to visit Dr. Hall" and I say "yes dear". Dr. Hall says "Im gonna update your vaccinations" and I say "yes sir. Oh, and were is Nurse Julie today???"
Old 11-15-2005, 04:21 PM

Isnt the MMR vaccine included in booster shots of tetanus?
Old 11-15-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had chicken pox when I was 22. It f'ing sucked. My feet were so swollen I couldn't walk. My eyes,ears and nose were swollen shut. I had to breath out of my mouth for 3 weeks straight. Every 2 hours, I had to breath into this tube to see if my throat was swelling shut. Twice I had to go to the emergency room because my throat was starting to swell up. They had to put a tube in my throat to keep it open. I had them on the inside of my lungs and was coughing up scabs for 2 months. If you've never had them and you are an adult, pray that you never get them!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good lord that sounds bad. Hard to believe this is the same disease as the one I had when I was about 10 years old and my only discomfort was itching alot.