Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 01:15 AM

Default QJs in SB > Push > Near The Bubble

I'm a cash game player not used to playing short stacked.

I have 3k the villian has 2800, blinds are 150/300. Villain has been raising a lot of hands. 126 left, 100 places pay. I don't care about slipping into the money i want to go deep.

Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB. Villian opens in LMP for 900, folded to me I push. Standard or stupid?

Edit: I'm reading HOH right now. Just need a quick stupid or standard. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Stupid Preflop Question

[ QUOTE ]

I have 3k the villian has 2800, blinds are 150/300. Villain has been raising a lot of hands. 126 left, 100 places pay. I don't care about slipping into the money i want to go deep.

Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB. Villian opens in LMP for 900, folded to me I push. Standard or stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was opening on the button, I'd say standard. As it is, I think it's borderline, but not awful if villan has routinely been aggressive out of the CO-1 and CO-2 (I assume 'LMP' is one of these seats) when it's folded to him.

Was the villan capable of laying down a hand? He's getting pretty darn good odds here, and really he should probably call you with anything other than complete rags, but some players will lay down decent hands in this situation. Had anyone else restealed (restole) against him successfully?
Old 10-28-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was opening on the button, I'd say standard. As it is, I think it's borderline, but not awful if villan has routinely been aggressive out of the CO-1 and CO-2 (I assume 'LMP' is one of these seats) when it's folded to him.

Was the villan capable of laying down a hand? He's getting pretty darn good odds here, and really he should probably call you with anything other than complete rags, but some players will lay down decent hands in this situation. Had anyone else restealed (restole) against him successfully?

[/ QUOTE ]

My table was really tight and the only person who had played back at him was me when I pushed from the BB with AA with with about 1200 and doubled through him (he had Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]). Probably should have included that.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:50 AM

I don't like it because villain is also short stacked and getting 2:1 to call your push. I.E. you've got very little folding equity. Your stack is just too small for restealing and your hand is behind the range that he is opening with.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My table was really tight and the only person who had played back at him was me when I pushed from the BB with AA with with about 1200 and doubled through him (he had Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]). Probably should have included that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, given that I fold. It looks like he'll call with marginal hands that have you beat like K9 and A-little. If you thought he might lay these down, I can see it, or if he was *so* aggressive that you thought that QJs was likely the be the best hand (but I'd only think that if he was raising very nearly every time it was folded to him).
Old 10-28-2005, 05:25 AM

Default Re: QJs in SB > Push > Near The Bubble

Probably not the best position to push for reasons already given. However, the one thing going for you is that last time that you did that you showed AA. Depending on your table image (do you resteal often, are you aggressive, etc), he may give it up unless he has a powerhouse. It's probably burned in his mind that you whipped him last time this happened. I suppose the bubble is, of course, a second thing going for you I suppose. Given those, pushing wouldn't be horrible if you have a VERY strong read that he plays weak cards/can lay down something like KQ, AJ, AT, etc.

Will