Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-17-2005, 03:24 AM

Default To Bet Or Not To Bet?

villian is not good, 37/11/2.6, will bet it up and pay off a bit. So I like to play fairly tight against him, excercise pot control, figuring I'll get paid if i hit.

NL 5/10. Effective stacks 1200. Folded to me in MP. I make it 30 with AdKd. Button calls. Rest fold.

Flop is [5D, 8S, 9C] (75 in pot)
I bet 45. Villian Calls.

Turn is 6D. (165 in pot)
I check, villian bets 45. I call.

River is 3D. (255 in pot)

I....???
Old 10-17-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: To Bet Or Not To Bet?

His turn bet was pretty weak... hard to put him on much.

I think you need to value bet this here unless he will bluff a lot in this spot AND will pay off a check raise with a 7 here. Admittedly, though, this does look like a good pot to try and steal (for villian if checked to), but I see him with a made hand that just wants to get to showdown more often than I see him with a bust.

Bet 2/3 the pot, and be glad he gave you good odds to draw. He might think you're bluffing anyway, and he still pays off with a 7.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:52 AM

You have to lead, but not too strong too get value from two pair hands (or maybe even some one pair hands). The straight might raise a weak bet (say 1/3 pot), as will a lower flush. Both might only call a strong bet, while they likely fold to a check/raise.

The only scenario where you get value from a check (/raise) is when villain is on complete air, or when he is a complete nit.

Marnix
Old 10-17-2005, 11:26 AM

I bet about half pot; he folded.

I think that was prob the right play, just checkin. I figure with the bet, he calls a straight, maybe mini raises a smaller flush.