Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Flop bottom pair, checked around

We're new at the table, and I have almost no idea what Button has. Some possibilities:

Any pocket pair (including QQ and 44), QT, T4s, J9, KJ, KT, JT, 87, A7, 76, 65, ace-high, 98, Ac4c, any two clubs, 54, K4.

Probably Button would have bet top pair on the flop, and I think he should have bet middle pair or a good draw as well.

But he isn't me, and basically I have very little idea what he has.

I don't really anticipate a checkraise from anyone -- probably no one who checked the flop and turn has much -- but it can't be ruled out. Maybe someone who flopped a big hand knows that Button likes to bet when checked to and figures he won't be able to resist firing with his 32s after, once again, no one shows interest. Or maybe someone at the table just loves to slowplay.

Anyway, I think there's a decent chance we're ahead here, and I think checkraising (which, among other things, might drive out a better 7) and even just calling are legitimate options for Hero.

But I'm more inclined just to fold this one and wait until I get a better idea what the table is like before getting involved in a small 5-way pot with bottom pair.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:27 AM

It's very read dependent but I would seriously consider raising this with folding as a close second.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:31 AM

On a night when i'm in a LAGish kind of mood i migth be overaggresive enought to occasionally bet the flop as a semibluff here. (This is probably not recomended.)

But even when I play sane I belive that a bet on the turn is more or less mandatory.

/Bjorn