Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: NL 5/10...Folding Set And It\'s Not Close

[ QUOTE ]
Doing this from memory. Good online full NL 5/10. 2 donks reallly spewing chips. Villian seems solid, (18/6/3) probably views me similarly. I have 2300. villain has 4k.

On to hand. Donk limps in (Got half in with slick earlier, nothing on flop, got other half in to double my AA). Villian limps. I limp on button with 33.

Flop is 3 6 9 rainbow. Donk bets 100 (This could be anything, probably overcards). Villian Calls. I raise to 300 (I want to get donk HU, if he's got a set, Ill pay him, but i can probably take his 1k).

Anyway, Donk folds. Villian raises up to, like 3k. I, of course muck. I'm positive he hit set.

It looks like he put me on set and figured I'd pay off his higher set. With that monster bet? Does anyone else play a set this way ever? In his shoes, against an opponent on the tight side at a full table. I'll call the raise, then check raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call, and it's not that close (absent other info you're leaving out).

Your raise looks like you may be trying to isolate donk (a bigger raise would have looked more like that, but still), and so it seems more likely you're facing a vulnerable overpair (which is looking to freeze you out) with that massive reraise, rather than a bigger set (which would have you in a world of hurt, and thus would not want you to fold on the flop).

Money goes in the middle if I'm holding bottom set in that situation, and then I just root for him not to hit his two-outer ten, jack or queen on me...
Old 08-29-2005, 04:35 PM

What the hell? How are you considering folding this to a villian with an AF of 3???

Against a guy that aggro postflop, I'm paying off his overset.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:36 PM

Against all but the most weak tight predictable players this is not an "easy fold."

Just because a player is solid doesn't mean he never bluffs or overplays 2 pair. Especially if you are going to make big laydowns like that.