Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Foxwoods - short trip short report

Last Saturday, while on my way home from a family vacation, stopped at Foxwoods for a quick poker session. The last time I was at Foxwoods was around 1996 so I was very surprised to see how the complex has grown.

4:00 Got to the poker room and put my name in for low limit stud, low limit omaha and 1-2NL. The room is huge, very loud and appeared disorganized.

4:20 Called for a 1-2 NL game. After being directed to see three different people I was told to just stand on the side and I would be directed to a table.

4:30 Sat down at a table and bought in. I was surprised at the other players ability level and lack of WPT wannabes. There was only one guy/kid wearing sunglasses and two players looked older than I am (48).

8:00 Left up $111 with no memorable hands or pots. There were no huge pots or anything of note. The biggest pot I won was about $65. The low limit omaha game never went off and I was finally called to play stud at about 7:00 but was too close to leaving to bother to move games/tables.

Just had a good time and won a few bucks. There were no really bad players or bad behavior. There wasn't even a lot of folding or betting out of turn. After reading some of the postings here I was happily surprised.

Best local rule: No cell phones. Twice I saw players pull out phones and within seconds they were asked to put them away. I wish everyplace did this.

Summary: A nice to place to play even if too loud. If I lived closer I would be a frequent player.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods - short trip short report

Foxwoods sucks.

Also, YSSCKY.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:13 AM

so the rape i mean rake wasn't too high for you?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

4:30 Sat down at a table and bought in. I was surprised at the other players ability level and lack of WPT wannabes. There was only one guy/kid wearing sunglasses and two players looked older than I am (48).

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure you were at FOXWOODS??????
Old 08-23-2005, 09:37 AM

Yeah the $5 every half hour seemed excessive, but when I thought about the expense of running that size operation where the $5 fee is their only source of income to cover that departmental overhead (oops too CPA sounding) then it really isn't too bad. The table only generates a max of $100 per hour for a limited number of hours per day and then you have to cover all the overhead.

Scorpion: That was the point of the post. I was very surprised at how well everything ran and at the minimal level of the usual BS.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:55 AM

That is a sick time charge. I think much more money can usually be won at 10-20 (which has consistently bigger pots, more being bet, etc) which has a rake at Fox and a $5 time charge in AC. If they want to time charge $5, they should at least not cap the buyin so ridiculously low so the game will play bigger.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2005, 10:55 PM

The 2/4 ($300 buyin max/min, $6 time) is much more reasonable ... unforunately, they usually only have one or two games of 2/4 with ten plus games of 1/2.