Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-11-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Was this just a suckout or did I make a costly error here?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

River: (12.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

I guess I should have pumped the flop?
Old 08-11-2005, 05:17 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Was this just a suckout or did I make a costly error here?

given that ytou didn't bet the flop, I think the rest is good. lots of people will not like the river check-call but I think it's a good play.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:19 AM

bet the river and call a raise

also if someone had a set or two-pair and improved to a full house there is nothing you could do

you played it beautifully i might add
Old 08-11-2005, 05:20 AM

Your subject line suggests that you lost this hand, which may taint the responses you get.

To answer your immediate question, raising the flop would not have folded out any hand that could have sucked out on you on that river.

I can't decide how i feel about raising the flop. On the one hand, you are behind only to J8, and you have a lot of probably outs against that hand, so raise now for value. Plus, your opponents may not put you on the flush draw, so you may get more action if you hit your flush (although with an 8-high flush, that may be scary).

OTOH, by not raising now, you make it more likely that you'll get bet into on the turn, allowing you to raise for a double bet.

On the river, you're behind only to 77/99/TT, and you have CO trapped for another bet. I think you have a raise here, calling a 3-bet.

Edit2: You're also behind to T9/T7/T4. Yuck. Maybe this is a legitimate check/call. I still think CO's dead money might legitimize a raise.

Edit: i misread your position. I think you definitely have a raise after you check the river back to villain. He will now bet with a much wider range of hands. Bet/call saves you one bet though (though it's more likely to prevent the delicious overcall from CO).
Old 08-11-2005, 05:24 AM

I think you played the hand alright. Only thing you could have done different was lead the flop, but what you did was risky, but ok. If you got sucked out on, you weren't going to make anyone fold a set or two pair here.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:36 AM

I like how you played this hand. Luckily for you (until the river maybe) you had sufficient action and good position on the raiser.
The only thing I would have done was lead out on the river. Your hand still figures to be good more than 55% of the time I believe. And you will definately call a raise.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the river and call a raise

also if someone had a set or two-pair and improved to a full house there is nothing you could do

you played it beautifully i might add

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is checking the flop better than betting again?
Old 08-11-2005, 06:04 AM

The check-call on the river was (rightly or wrongly) based on instinct. It was the worst possible card that could come off for my hand. I did a quick calculation in my head and the fact that I was now losing to an improved tens up two-pair as well as the set I had been suspecting (as well as the rather remote J8 possibility) almost made me vomit, thus the check-call.