Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Capped 5 way before flop--what did everyone have? (long)

I'm not too good at making reads, which isn't a major deficit at low limits, because players play all kind of illogical crap anyway. But this hand has me really scratching my head, as my tentative evaluation of what the players had shifted wildly on each betting round. Could some of you experts come in and give me your guesses? Thanks.

From Pacific, $1/2 table, 10 handed. Can't use hand converter, and unlike on Party, when you show first at the end and your opponent can't beat you, you don't get to look at the hand history to see what he mucked.

Table is your typical low stakes table. About 40% VPIP, very few preflop raises, very passive play. I've played about 30 hands at the table, so no real strong reads, but everyone seems to be about the same. No maniacs or super-tight players.

Here's the action:

Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG limps, UTG+1 folds, hero raises, next player reraises, next caps. Folded to the SB, who cold calls 3.5 bets, BB folds, then to the UTG limper, who also calls the cap with 3 bets. At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm dominated by KK, QQ, AK, AA or some other premium hand, but it's only two more bets to me and the pot's huge, so I throw in two bets. The reraiser calls, and 5 of us go to the flop.

My reads so far: MP1 and MP2, the reraiser and capper, probably have great hands. SB and UTG limper could have anything and decided to see the flop having already committed some money once they realize the pot will be huge.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB and UTG check, I bet, planning on folding if it gets raised and reraised like I expect is fairly likely. Instead, everyone just calls except for SB who folds.

My read: Somewhat perplexed. This is a scary flop for QQ or JJ, but great for TT, AK, KK, AA, A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or any other number of premium hands. Possibly someone with a monster like KK is slowplaying, waiting to extract more profit on the turn?

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Well, a pretty good card for me, but I'm still dead to AJ, KK or QQ, and AK and JJ both have good redraws.

UTG checks, I bet, MP1 folds, MP2 (the capper) calls, UTG1 calls.

Read: these are either extremely passive players, or they're on draws. But at this point, I'm baffled as to what anyone has. What could justify a preflop 3 bet and cap and then just calling here?

River: 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Not good if I'm against someone with a 10, or less likely, if the capper has AA but has been just calling because he's afraid he's beaten by KK, QQ, TT, KT, QT, or KQ.

UTG checks, I bet, MP2/capper folds(!), UTG thinks awhile, calls, and then mucks, unable to beat my top two pair.

My best guesses:

MP1: No clue
MP2: pocket 9's or J's, possibly with a diamond.
SB: anything
UTG: Probably two diamonds or a straight draw, but with a pair as well (QJ, e.g.), such that even when he misses his draw on the river he figures it's worth one more bet for a call.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Capped 5 way before flop--what did everyone have? (long)

Lots of ways your two pair could be beat here. I'd play it carefully. Amongst other potential problems, the River T for TT on the board counterfits your Q pair to AA which now has a better two pair.